Hyde can’t manage this team

Explosivo

10 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

Hyde's not a good manager but the main problem with the team is a lack of talent. 

That is the heart of the problem, no?  Replace Hyde this season with any HoF manager, and what?  We're 18-28 instead of 17-29?

16 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I’m convinced the only reason Hyde is at the helm is to make the wrong decisions that result in losses. I get we have major holes and gaps in starting pitching, relief pitching and the infield but man does he consistently push the wrong buttons. We have plenty of young arms in the bullpen and yet it seems we only see Plutko. I mean, how many games has he pitched this year? I think he’s a pretty good pitcher but you can’t keep going to the well over and over. It’s like he’s been instructed to make this team tank or something. Again, we aren’t supposed to be good this year or the next and really what would help this team out the most is a top 3 draft pick, but wow does this dude not know how to manage this club. Ok, ok, rant over. I feel better.

The team stinks because they have a lot of players who stink.  Nothing Hyde does or doesn't do has a great effect on that. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Assuming you're trying to score at least a run to tie the game, then statistically, sac bunting a guy to second with no outs and a decent hitter at the plate is a really bad idea.  It's what you do in that situation with a weak hitter up, and no other options to put the bat into the hands of someone better.

Chance to score at least one run:

Man on first, zero outs:  42.36%

Man on second, one out:  40.60%

Also looking at historic data from past games with this situation (visitor batting in 9th, home up by one), you're hurting your win expectancy by giving up the out.

No bunt:  Home wins 75.8% of the time.

With bunt: Home wins 81% of the time.

Thank you.  I was pretty annoyed that Hays decided to bunt there.  

Also although it isn't always accurate, the old adage says play for the tie at home and the lead on the road.  Hays should be swinging away there against the lefty Hand, who is pitching his third straight game.  It really isn't debatable. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Whatever.  Tony La Russa would have this roster battling it out for first place.  That much is obvious.

LOL.  This is true.  Look at all he has gotten out of Yermin! He is even teaching him about the unwritten rules of baseball!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

And is it because he’s a bad manager?

He’s lost this team. I don’t think they respect him. I don’t think they respond to them. I don’t think he’s making the young guys better. It would be one thing if there was growth from the young players or if the vets were not making continuous errors. However all this is true 

18 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

So in two years when this team is good, you want to keep Hyde or not?

Yes..If the team is good in 2 years, that means the young talent is progressing well.

The team plays hard, had good chemistry and the players like and respect him.

A baseball manager has very little influence on winning and losing.  What matters is the intangibles that they bring and Hyde seems to have them.

On 5/23/2021 at 6:53 PM, Pushmonkey said:

He’s lost this team. I don’t think they respect him. I don’t think they respond to them. I don’t think he’s making the young guys better. It would be one thing if there was growth from the young players or if the vets were not making continuous errors. However all this is true 

The Jaguars will win a championship before the Orioles.