Issues in Delmarva (and MiLB wide)

Legend_Of_Joey

A bit of a sombering and disturbing bit of information coming out right now...

I’ve been in contact with a few players in different minor league organizations and was just informed that the Delmarva team just told their players that they will not have any living spaces provided once they get back from their road trip. This comes shortly after this fiasco:

While the Pelicans posted this announcement, I was getting other information that the Pelicans weren’t, in fact, giving players housing and instead players were sleeping in the clubhouse. 

Some other teams (Astros and I believe Mets are atleast two of them) are providing housing for their entire system. Due to the ongoing COVID stuff, players aren’t getting “host families” this year unlike other years. Players would also have to pay for their own accommodations. If you aren’t familiar with MiLB salaries...Let’s just say that they won’t exactly be living large...Or even medium. Some teams have players that managed to get a long term hotel rental and are cramming multiple players in there. But that doesn’t seem like something that is able to be done at most places.

I’ve asked some of the players what can be done to help and they are unsure and mainly in “panic mode.” 

If anyone has any help or knowledge on anything that can be done, please reach out. Thank you.

It is absurd that the MLB teams don't just own housing that they allow players to live in during the season.

It isn't as if MLB teams don't have the money, and real estate is a fine investment for the teams, and is comparatively cheap in most minor league cities. 

Short term rentals are so predatory for renters and minor league life is so transitory with players being called up and down on a whim, that it would be so much more efficient for the MLB team to manage the housing.

The teams know how many players there will be on a given team so they know how much housing they need, whereas players don't find out where they are going to be until a couple days before the season starts, and that can always change mid-season.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

This seems crazy.   Players go on a road trip and are told they won’t have housing when they get back?    That doesn’t make sense.   

That’s what is happening in Delmarva. In another city, players were given a link to a hotel site to book their own accommodations for the night on the last day of a road trip, after being told the team hotel was fully booked. 

Well, this is a kick in the head.  The performance of the minor league clubs is the one bright spot in this organization, and now you're telling me that the organization would rather have their players worrying about finances and finding a place to live as opposed to focusing on baseball, just to save some money?  

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Well, this is a kick in the head.  The performance of the minor league clubs is the one bright spot in this organization, and now you're telling me that the organization would rather have their players worrying about finances and finding a place to live as opposed to focusing on baseball, just to save some money?  

My guess is that the guys that they care about probably don't have to worry about their finances.

20 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

A bit of a sombering and disturbing bit of information coming out right now...

I’ve been in contact with a few players in different minor league organizations and was just informed that the Delmarva team just told their players that they will not have any living spaces provided once they get back from their road trip. This comes shortly after this fiasco:

While the Pelicans posted this announcement, I was getting other information that the Pelicans weren’t, in fact, giving players housing and instead players were sleeping in the clubhouse. 

Some other teams (Astros and I believe Mets are atleast two of them) are providing housing for their entire system. Due to the ongoing COVID stuff, players aren’t getting “host families” this year unlike other years. Players would also have to pay for their own accommodations. If you aren’t familiar with MiLB salaries...Let’s just say that they won’t exactly be living large...Or even medium. Some teams have players that managed to get a long term hotel rental and are cramming multiple players in there. But that doesn’t seem like something that is able to be done at most places.

I’ve asked some of the players what can be done to help and they are unsure and mainly in “panic mode.” 

If anyone has any help or knowledge on anything that can be done, please reach out. Thank you.

Awful. Wish I had the money/home in Maryland to help. That really pisses me off.  If I ur front office refuses to rectify this, I will have a hard time being a fan of this organization. Please keep us posted. Thanks. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is this type of behavior really surprising given what we have seen from the team since the sons took over?

It certainly is unfortunate, and if I had to guess once this hits the news properly it will all be a misunderstanding.  ?

Nope, sadly not surprising. 

I don’t expect baseball owners to be great humanitarians.   I do expect them to do what’s in the major league team’s best interests.    Putting aside the whole question of whether teams should subsidize or supply housing for their players, how does it make sense to start the season under one set of rules, then tell the players during a road trip that they’ll have no housing when they return?    That’s almost guaranteed to hamper the players’ performance.  Something about this story doesn’t add up.   

I believe that they are re-instituting host housing, as are most of the major league teams, but like two. 

I agree with others in this thread, that it would make much more sense for the Orioles to continue to provide housing to the minor leaguers Heck, see if you can rent a dorm from a local college. 

(This is also a separate issue then what happened with the Pelicans and the hotel) 

Edited by seak05