Issues in Delmarva (and MiLB wide)

Legend_Of_Joey

With the amount of money the major league teams and players are rolling in, it's time to improve the lifestyle of the minor league players. It's unfathomable that a major league franchise would care so little about their employees.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

It's always bothered me that when CBA negotiations roll along, we never seem to hear the players take a stand for minor leaguers. 

If the Union started bringing attention to the minor leaguers maybe folks would start wondering why they aren't allowed in the Union.

The Union doesn't want risk that.

44 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

With the amount of money the major league teams and players are rolling in, it's time to improve the lifestyle of the minor league players. It's unfathomable that a major league franchise would care so little about their employees.

Well, they did get raises last year, though the pay still sucks.   

A-Ball went from $290/wk to $500.

AA went from $350 to $600.

AAA went from $502 to $700.

Also it should be kept in mind that:

1.   Some players got bonuses that range from very hefty to at least substantially supplementing their weekly pay.

2.  Players on the 40-man roster for the first time get annual salary of $44,500 when not in the majors, $89,900 in the second and third years.  If they get called up at all, it’s about $3,000 per day while on the major league roster.

3.   Players who have been in the majors have to be paid some portion (60% I think) of the prior year’s salary to be retained.   So for example, Sisco I think has to be paid at an annual rate of $330 k even while in AAA because he was in the majors all last year.

4.   Guys who are signed as minor league free agents often get contracts that guarantee significantly more than the minimum.

Now, I did not write all that to say that the owners are generous with minor league players     I’m just saying it’s more complicated than just looking at the minimum salaries    It’s mostly the guys in A ball who didn’t get much of a signing bonus who really live hand to mouth.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, they did get raises last year, though the pay still sucks.   

A-Ball went from $290/wk to $500.

AA went from $350 to $600.

AAA went from $502 to $700.

Also it should be kept in mind that:

1.   Some players got bonuses that range from very hefty to at least substantially supplementing their weekly pay.

2.  Players on the 40-man roster for the first time get annual salary of $44,500 when not in the majors, $89,900 in the second and third years.  If they get called up at all, it’s about $3,000 per day while on the major league roster.

3.   Players who have been in the majors have to be paid some portion (60% I think) of the prior year’s salary to be retained.   So for example, Sisco I think has to be paid at an annual rate of $330 k even while in AAA because he was in the majors all last year.

4.   Guys who are signed as minor league free agents often get contracts that guarantee significantly more than the minimum.

Now, I did not write all that to say that the owners are generous with minor league players     I’m just saying it’s more complicated than just looking at the minimum salaries    It’s mostly the guys in A ball who didn’t get much of a signing bonus who really live hand to mouth.

You’re right. A lot of the issues tend to be in A ball at both levels and not as much in AA. I think the main reason it seems worse this year is because players lost out on Host Families, who would provide a room and sometimes meals. Bowie had a group that would do a “potluck dinner” after every home Sunday game for the players and provide blankets, pillows and other stuff for road trips. I don’t think anyone is allowed to do stuff like that right now and it becomes an issue. Teams also give clubhouse managers a meal budget to work with, which is usually the equivalent of a family of fours budget. 

That’s why players are super happy when a MLB’er is there for a rehab assignment, as the player will usually treat for the time they are there with pre and post game meals.

To play devil's advocate a couple of quick points.

Prisoners can't exactly go out to eat or cook for themselves.  Guys in the minors can do both.  The adage goes 1- Eat cheap 2- Eat fast  3- Eat well...you get to pick two.  If players want to eat cheap and fast they have the post game spread option.

Is room and/or board actually part of the contract between players and teams?  My understanding has been that players pay a fee to the clubhouse attendant that then provides the pre/post game spread for home games.  They aren't really meant to be the main source of nutrition.

Of course I do think that teams should voluntarily do better given how little it would cost them.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

To play devil's advocate a couple of quick points.

Prisoners can't exactly go out to eat or cook for themselves.  Guys in the minors can do both.  The adage goes 1- Eat cheap 2- Eat fast  3- Eat well...you get to pick two.  If players want to eat cheap and fast they have the post game spread option.

Is room and/or board actually part of the contract between players and teams?  My understanding has been that players pay a fee to the clubhouse attendant that then provides the pre/post game spread for home games.  They aren't really meant to be the main source of nutrition.

Of course I do think that teams should voluntarily do better given how little it would cost them.

Before this season, the main issue was just the pay. Due to the fact they can’t have host families and players now pay for their food, room and boarding and other expenses, the already low pay and mandatory dues for clubhouse managers on the road and at home means their $2,000 a month (pre tax, too) doesn’t go far, especially when there was the issue where players had to get their own rooms on a road trip too. 

3 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Before this season, the main issue was just the pay. Due to the fact they can’t have host families and players now pay for their food, room and boarding and other expenses, the already low pay and mandatory dues for clubhouse managers on the road and at home means their $2,000 a month (pre tax, too) doesn’t go far, especially when there was the issue where players had to get their own rooms on a road trip too. 

I'm not anti-player here but comparing post game spreads to the sole possible source of nutrition for folks that are incarcerated is just silly.

I'm on record here at the OH years ago suggesting that teams add chefs and dietitians to the minor league staffs. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not anti-player here but comparing post game spreads to the sole possible source of nutrition for folks that are incarcerated is just silly.

I'm on record here at the OH years ago suggesting that teams add chefs and dietitians to the minor league staffs. 

That would definitely be a big boost.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

That would definitely be a big boost.

How much would it cost to get a chef right out of culinary school and have them cook cafeteria style for home games?  I think a lot of folks would do it for almost free.  The dietitian would be one for the whole minor leagues and would travel from level to level consulting players.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t expect baseball owners to be great humanitarians.   I do expect them to do what’s in the major league team’s best interests.    Putting aside the whole question of whether teams should subsidize or supply housing for their players, how does it make sense to start the season under one set of rules, then tell the players during a road trip that they’ll have no housing when they return?    That’s almost guaranteed to hamper the players’ performance.  Something about this story doesn’t add up.   

I agree w/ this. What's the benefit to the organization?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much would it cost to get a chef right out of culinary school and have them cook cafeteria style for home games?  I think a lot of folks would do it for almost free.  The dietitian would be one for the whole minor leagues and would travel from level to level consulting players.

I also read a suggestion that minor league teams could partner with local restaurants to provide postgame  spreads in exchange for some free advertising. Players get better food, local area businesses get exposure and MLB can continue to be cheap with their minor leaguers. 

• Upvote 1