Friday June 11: Orioles begin 20-games-in-20-days stretch vs Rays in St Petersburg

SteveA

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well if you are fitting your ballpark into the contours of a city block like Fenway or Wrigley that's one thing but isn't the Trop Dome in the middle of a huge parking lot?

And if you look at some foul balls down the line like Trey hit earlier, you can see some empty space between the fence and the front row of the seats in the LF corner.  Makes those seats really suck and there is just empty space there.

It is a dome and was built as a multi-purpose facility.  It is possible that it would have been difficult or prohibitively expensive to put the bullpens elsewhere.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Palmer has, repeatedly, done everything but say outright that Severino is a terrible recover who sets a poor target.  He's danced around it all year but it's obvious how he feels.

But hey, at least he's not hitting.

Edit- BB reference having Severino at .1 rWAR is almost enough to put me off the stat altogether.

2 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Palmer has, repeatedly, done everything but say outright that Severino is a terrible recover who sets a poor target.  He's danced around it all year but it's obvious how he feels.

He does. I did notice before the HR that Akin shook off the first sign. I was thinking he would double up with the breaking ball.   

Palmer's right.  That just can't happen - throwing a straight fastball dead center of the strike zone on a 1-2 count.  That's obviously Akin's fault, but it's also Severino's fault.  He set his usual lazy ambiguous target around the middle of the plate!  He should have set up at the edge of the strike zone.  Just frikkin lazy or stupid.  Pick which one.  That isn't Major League caliber baseball.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Palmer's right.  That just can't happen - throwing a straight fastball dead center of the strike zone on a 1-2 count.  That's obviously Akin's fault, but it's also Severino's fault.  He set his usual lazy ambiguous target around the middle of the plate!  He should have set up at the edge of the strike zone.  Just frikkin lazy or stupid.  Pick which one.  That isn't Major League caliber baseball.  

I’m not a Sevy defender but he had his glove set up high as Akin threw the pitch. He dropped it as he released it.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• We were already going for fireworks, but I just saw Jackson Jobe is the listed starter for Erie this evening.   Bonus, and a great test for Basallo and the rest of the Baysox!
    • To take this team to the next level we need to fix the bullpen in 2025. Even with the mountain coming back I propose signing a minimum of 2 of these players. If that takes trading arbitration players like Mullins and Mountcastle then so be it. If that takes not signing Santander then so be it. The players are: Clay Holmes AJ Minter Carlos Estevez Tanner Scott Yimi Garcia depending on health Then there is another tier that I would accept if the others declined. Andrew Kittredge Jose Leclrec  Nick Martinez Keynan Middleton Tommy Khanle    
    • You can save the 9M and spend it elsewhere but you’re still going to need a CF and good luck finding one better than Mullins for 9M.   In fantasy world we can plug EBJ there on OD, hope he hits .230/.290/330 and provides outstanding defense and 50+ SB but that doesn’t seem to be Elias’ style.   More of an LA Angels move.
    • Firing Hyde would be a nonsensical move right now. A knee jerk reaction. Baseball is a long season, full of ups and downs. He is a steady force, and definitely imperfect. Part of his appeal as a manager is that he has a fairly calm exterior, but he is fiery. He doesn’t just flip his lid for some minor thing. He does make mistakes, and tends to over-manage, at times, with matchups and such. And perhaps he is loyal to a fault, but his players live him for it. If we are going to blame Hyde for this mess, I think it misguided. You can say this is a very flawed and inexperienced team. Its construction has sacrificed some defense for production. Injuries to Mateo and Westburg have hurt. We have infielders who cannot execute a proper tag, or make a basic throw on the run. Mullins is banged up, again. We can certainly lay some bricks at Elias’ feet for team construction. How many LH bats do we need? Adding Slater was actually a good move. Eloy Jimenez, I actually like that too. We have watched this team change over from the hungry grinders to the young stars. We do seem to have guys who want to be stars, rather than be good at baseball and win games. I don’t care how many home runs we hit. Kevin Brown talks about that like I should actually care. Or what the exit velo is on a ground ball out. I want to see guys play smart, with a good approach. Shorten up with two strikes. Execute a bunt, or a hit and run. I want them to play team baseball and win. The Astros dugout is so much more engaged than we are. They have a few stars, but those guys just have some good solid players who are always hungry and in the game. When the camera pans into their dugout, look how engaged they are. 
    • Roy, you don't have to defend yourself or your fandom to anyone - particularly some marginal poster on this site. You are one of the posters that make this site special aand we are fortunate to have you around. May your fandom last forever! Plus, hope is a Tony Tatter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
    • Last year the team never gave him a lead. My guess is he would be a lot more willing to extend Bautista and Cano in those one run situations. With off days and such he will have everybody available most games unlike the regular season. 
    • I don't really buy the injured cavalry narrative. We don't really know if or when some of these guys are coming back or how they'll perform. Plus, we don't know who else will replace them on the injured list. Mountcastle, Mullins and Rutschman already not full strength, for starters...
  • Popular Contributors