Kyle Stowers 2021

Frobby

15 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I like both he and Neustrom to get time in our OF next year.  It's exciting to think about.

Yeah, if both Neustrom and Stowers look good midway through next season and Santander and Mancini are having decent years, I could so both being traded at the deadline (if neither is extended). 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Calvin Pickering!

Man, he was before Walter Young.  Sheesh I'm getting old.

Pickering had some legit OPS seasons in the minors, I forgot all about this.  1.086 at Bluefield (BLUEFIELD!!) .949 at Delmarva, 1.000 at Bowie.  

Safe to say the Orioles haven't had many power bats come through the system in the past 25 years or so.

1 hour ago, UMDTerrapins said:

One of the things that I like about him is that he's been consistent all season. And he hits lefties and righties well. Other than Mussina and Hammonds, have we had any other Stanford guys (Brian Sackinsky just came to mind too....if I'm spelling his name right)?

There was Pete Stanicek, drafted in 1985.   He was good in the minors but got derailed with injuries as a major leaguer after two partial seasons.  

Edit - Also, Jeff Ballard.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

There was Pete Stanicek, drafted in 1985.   He was good in the minors but got derailed with injuries as a major leaguer after two partial seasons.  

Edit - Also, Jeff Ballard.  

Pete Stanicek and Jeffrey Hammonds both were really injury prone.  Made me want to avoid drafting any more guys from Stanford.  But that Mussina guy turned out OK.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

I don’t see Neustrom as anything other than a AAAA player.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I hope you need your eyes checked.

It’s just too early to make a pronouncement about something like that right now.   He’s played less than a half season of AAA and of course hasn’t played in the majors at all.   Before this year he really was barely on the radar screen at all, so who are we to predict what he’ll be next year?    I think he has some flaws but he’s improved a ton this year and maybe he’ll just keep on improving.   I could see him being a better version of DJ Stewart.

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I definitely think he is on the radar for a corner outfield/1B/DH spot at some point next season and could well be penciled in as the starter in 2023 if Mancini and/or Santander don't come back in 2023. He may well outplay Santander and take his spot next year.

I don't see Elias giving Stowers a chance to take Santander's spot.  I believe Santander will be traded either in the offseason or before the trade deadline.  If he's on the roster, he will be getting plenty of chances to improve his trade value.  Not sure Santander will even bring back an organization's top 10 prospect.  He likely would have been traded at the deadline if the O's had an offer like that. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pete Stanicek had one of the O’s all-time great minor league seasons at Hagerstown in ‘86.  In 127 games he had 115 runs, 77 steals, .317 average, and a .438 OBP.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I don't see Elias giving Stowers a chance to take Santander's spot.  I believe Santander will be traded either in the offseason or before the trade deadline.  If he's on the roster, he will be getting plenty of chances to improve his trade value.  Not sure Santander will even bring back an organization's top 10 prospect.  He likely would have been traded at the deadline if the O's had an offer like that. 

And I don't think that's a problem. Find a near-MLB ready bullpen guy plus a Jean Pinto X 2 and I'd be happy with that return.