Will Mullins start in the All Star Game?

Frobby

Mullins should Start. That’s the whole point of the All-Star game.

And let me digress for a moment and say that I just despise the stupid “all star uniforms.” In the olden days the guys would wear the uniform of their own team, so that every Ranger fan could see that the guy at SS was Toby Harrah, For instance. These stupid uniforms go a long way towards ruining the exhibition feel.

Edited by Philip

53 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

All I gotta say is that the voters are stupid.  Trout?  Do people even pay attention?  

I mean, if you're not an Orioles fan do you really know who Cedric Mullins is?

Trout is the most popular player in baseball.  Of course he gets voted in, even if he's injured.

I’m really interested in whether Means makes the team even though he’s injured. He should, even though he can’t play, because that allows them to choose somebody else as his sub, so an extra person gets to be an all-star, and plus, you’ve got to reward a no-hitter, even though there have been five so far, and finally, you’ve got to give a sop to a lousy team.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Trout is the most popular player in baseball.  Of course he gets voted in, even if he's injured.

Let's be honest as Orioles fans Cal Ripken got voted into the all star in his later years when he wasn't playing at an all star level, so I can't complain about Trout winning the vote. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Let's be honest as Orioles fans Cal Ripken got voted into the all star in his later years when he wasn't playing at an all star level, so I can't complain about Trout winning the vote. 

Yeah, it's a popularity contest.  So...Cedric Mullins isn't popular on a national level.  At least, not yet.  

But what'd anyone expect, really?  I mean, you'd probably get a collective shrug from people about Bryan Reynolds of the Pirates.  The Pirates and Orioles are just so far off anyone's radar it's not a wonder that people don't know who their good players are who haven't had a lot of time to get noticed.  

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, the votes are in, and Cedric Mullins was not voted an All Star starter.   The voters went with Trout, Judge and Teoscar Hernandez.  Bryan Buxton and Michael Brantley also finished ahead of Mullins.   

However, Trout is on the 60 day IL and Buxton also is injured.    

That leaves AL manager Kevin Cash with a choice; does his start Brantley, the next highest vote getter and a five-time All Star, who hasn’t played CF in several years and is 34 years old, or Mullins, the natural (and excellent) defensive CF who is having his first full season as a starter?

Solely on the merits of 2021, it has to be Mullins.   But if lifetime achievement is factored in, it would not be shocking to choose Brantley.   Hoping it’s Mullins.  

You have to hope that since it's CF, Mullins is the best choice to start. He certainly deserves the honor!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Non-Orioles fans definitely know who he is.  I see him posted on the MLB IG account all the time.  He’s on pace for an 8 WAR season.  Every baseball fan should know who he is.

2 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Non-Orioles fans definitely know who he is.  I see him posted on the MLB IG account all the time.  He’s on pace for an 8 WAR season.  Every baseball fan should know who he is.

If your a casual fan, particularly of a National League team I can see why you wouldn't have more than a vague idea who he is.  I don't watch SC or MLB network but I'm guessing most nights the O's highlights are at the end of the show.  If your a Brewer fan that watches a couple games a week I totally get it.

Just now, ArtVanDelay said:

Should...but they don't.

I think we're sipping our own kool-aid a bit too much here, but that's expected since it's a board made for and supported by die-hards.  

You're assuming that every MLB fan is looking at the MLB IG account all the time.  In a similar vein, do I know or care about whoever's having a breakout season for the Diamondbacks?  Do you?  I sure don't, I'd be surprised if you said yes.  And even if you DID say yes, are you that adamant about following that player and getting him to the ASG?

We all love Cedric, we're all proud of him and we want him to be able to shine in the spotlight.  But not everyone feels the same way.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Should...but they don't.

I think we're sipping our own kool-aid a bit too much here, but that's expected since it's a board made for and supported by die-hards.  

You're assuming that every MLB fan is looking at the MLB IG account all the time.  In a similar vein, do I know or care about whoever's having a breakout season for the Diamondbacks?  Do you?  I sure don't, I'd be surprised if you said yes.  And even if you DID say yes, are you that adamant about following that player and getting him to the ASG?

We all love Cedric, we're all proud of him and we want him to be able to shine in the spotlight.  But not everyone feels the same way.  

Actually I was just reading a reddit thread yesterday discussing who the Diamondback's All Star representative should be.  But I'm far from casual.