2021 11th round pick (317): Dylan Heid - RHP - (Senior) Pittsburgh-Johnstown

6-2, 205

2021:  Five-time PSAC West Pitcher of the Week, three-time NCBWA Atlantic Region Pitcher of the Week, and NCBWA National Pitcher of the Week on March 11 after throwing no-hitter against West Liberty (WV) University...Pitched in nine games (9 starts)...posted team best 7-2 record with four shutouts and six complete games...also led team in ERA (1.37), innings-pitched (59.1), and strikeouts...PSAC West Pitcher of the Year, NCBWA, DIICCA, and ABCA/Rawlings Atlantic Region Pitcher of the Year...DIICCA and ABCA Rawlings First-Team All-American...NCBWA Second-Team All-American....ranked second in NCAA Division II and led PSAC in Hits Allowed Per Nine Innings (3.79), and WHIP (.67)...ranked third in NCAA and Led PSAC in Complete Games (6), ERA (1.37), and Strikeouts Per Nine Innings (15.93)...ranked 13th in NCAA Division II and Led PSAC in Strikeouts (105)...also ranked 21st in  NCAA Division II in Strikeout-to-Walk Ratio (7.00), and 47th in Victories (7).

• lovetoaster changed the title to 2021 11th round pick (317): Dylan Heid - RHP - (Senior) Pittsburgh-Johnstown

“Dylan has been magnificent all year,” Williams said after Heid threw a 1-0 shutout to win for the seventh time in eight decisions this season. “He’s been in double-digit strikeouts every game. The only game he lost, we lost 2-0. He’s just been phenomenal. He deserves everything he’s getting.

“He’s getting a lot of notice. There have been scouts checking him out all year,” Williams added. “He’s already been invited to a couple pre-draft workouts. I think he has a good shot (of being drafted).”

https://www.tribdem.com/sports/mike-mastovich-heid-making-his-pitch-for-mountain-cats-mlb-draft/article_13cdc710-aa0f-11eb-aafa-1f83806c9c16.html

He played in the MLB Draft League...I don't have stats for that, but I assume he did well. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, waroriole said:

Looks like he had a lot of control problems until this year. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=heid--000dyl

Holy cow Sean Forman is a marvel.   I'm used to having to scrape Perfect Game or Baseball Cube for small college stats, but kudos to him for having a page for an Orioles 11th round pick on the spot.

Anyway, as we start selecting some pitchers that match our peculiar taste, I kind of guess many of them are going to be official Kyle Bradish high arm angle, four seam angle of attack practitioners.

Last postseason, the telecasts had fun with the graphic about all the different arm angles from the Rays pen, and I'd be curious to see the same today of the Orioles pitching selections.

2 minutes ago, lovetoaster said:

Dylan Heid, RHP, Pitt Johnstown: Heading into the summer, Heid was likely the DII alum who was going to be drafted the highest. However, he has since entered the transfer portal despite still hoping to go pro. He’s a big righty, listed at 6’2 and 205 pounds and has a 94-96 mph fastball that led to 105 strikeouts in 59.1 innings for the Mountain Cats. He then went on to the MLB Draft League where his fastball was frequently listed among the best pitches of week. Heid tossed 18 innings in the MLB Draft League, striking out 35 and allowing just one earned run. Throw in a slider and changeup, along with a loose arm that doesn’t require much effort and you have a stud pitcher in the making.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

Don't have a problem with this pick on the surface, but do have a bit of a problem with it in the context of the rest of the draft. If we didn't have so much apparent money available for rounds 11-20, he's a nice choice at 11 given his K numbers and success in a SSS in the draft league. 

Just now, jamalshw said:

Don't have a problem with this pick on the surface, but do have a bit of a problem with it in the context of the rest of the draft. If we didn't have so much apparent money available for rounds 11-20, he's a nice choice at 11 given his K numbers and success in a SSS in the draft league. 

If it's true that we have a deal or two and are ready to pull the trigger, the question is just when. For the O's, they might be targeting a couple of "still available" guys and then pull the trigger on the guys they have deals with.

To me, this looks like a bit of an over slot pick. Not massive, but the transfer portal stuff tells me this guy thinks he has a little leverage.