2021 11th round pick (317): Dylan Heid - RHP - (Senior) Pittsburgh-Johnstown

I'm not clear about whether this guy's fastball is 91-94 or 94-96.  Obviously it makes a big difference--at age 23 there's not a lot of physical projection left.  

I understand the general point that college seniors will be a more talented group this year than normal, due to last year's draft being 5 rounds.  But still, wouldn't it be true that the best college seniors should be drafted before round 11?   Especially since there are benefits to going underslot in rounds 1-10, but not afterwards?

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not clear about whether this guy's fastball is 91-94 or 94-96.  Obviously it makes a big difference--at age 23 there's not a lot of physical projection left.  

I understand the general point that college seniors will be a more talented group this year than normal, due to last year's draft being 5 rounds.  But still, wouldn't it be true that the best college seniors should be drafted before round 11?   Especially since there are benefits to going underslot in rounds 1-10, but not afterwards?

I'd go with 91-94 which is what he was throwing in the Draft League. I'm not even sure where the 94-96 came from which is why i said, "reportedly".

58 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'd go with 91-94 which is what he was throwing in the Draft League. I'm not even sure where the 94-96 came from which is why i said, "reportedly".

I think the 94-96 came from this article. Interesting that we took both guys at the top of this list. 

https://www.talkingchop.com/2021/7/8/22564838/atlanta-braves-2021-mlb-draft-preview-dii-baseball-players-to-watch

15 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

I think the 94-96 came from this article. Interesting that we took both guys at the top of this list. 

https://www.talkingchop.com/2021/7/8/22564838/atlanta-braves-2021-mlb-draft-preview-dii-baseball-players-to-watch

Yeah, I'm not sure where they got those numbers from because the 91-94 came directly from the PBR site that had statcast data for all the draft league players. Plus, if he was throwing 94-96, he would have went before the 11th round.

32 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I'm not sure where they got those numbers from because the 91-94 came directly from the PBR site that had statcast data for all the draft league players. Plus, if he was throwing 94-96, he would have went before the 11th round.

Oh I gotcha. Yeah, it would be a bit surprising for a guy like that to still be available. But if somehow, that's true, I'll take it! Haha. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

After almost a full year we finally have a Dylan Heid sighting.   He just entered the FCL Orioles game and had a very uneven inning of work.  2 strikeouts, 2 walks, 1 hit, 1 run.

Heid, to the best of my knowledge, was drafted last year but did not make his professional debut until today.