2021 11th round pick (317): Dylan Heid - RHP - (Senior) Pittsburgh-Johnstown

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Was not expecting a college senior to start things off today

I think we are going to see a lot of college seniors this year being drafted because of the short 5 round draft last year, most went back for their senior years. It's not going to be your typical Senior draftees.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, 7Mo said:

Dylan Heid, RHP, Pitt Johnstown: Heading into the summer, Heid was likely the DII alum who was going to be drafted the highest. However, he has since entered the transfer portal despite still hoping to go pro. He’s a big righty, listed at 6’2 and 205 pounds and has a 94-96 mph fastball that led to 105 strikeouts in 59.1 innings for the Mountain Cats. He then went on to the MLB Draft League where his fastball was frequently listed among the best pitches of week. Heid tossed 18 innings in the MLB Draft League, striking out 35 and allowing just one earned run. Throw in a slider and changeup, along with a loose arm that doesn’t require much effort and you have a stud pitcher in the making.

They should just rename the MLB Draft League the @wildcardleague because you get guys making draft choices off small sample sizes.

IMO, I'm pretty over this draft.  I'm not saying I'm mad at it, just already tired of it.  Need to see these guys signed and playing before making any proclamations about how good or bad it was.  But on the surface, not a lot to be excited about.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

They should just rename the MLB Draft League the @wildcardleague because you get guys making draft choices off small sample sizes.

IMO, I'm pretty over this draft.  I'm not saying I'm mad at it, just already tired of it.  Need to see these guys signed and playing before making any proclamations about how good or bad it was.  But on the surface, not a lot to be excited about.

I'm not touting the guy. Just answering the previous poster.

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Who are the guy you are talking about? The people here are passing on information they found which is exactly what people should be doing. It's then up to you to bitch about an 11th round pick who throws 94-96 with success against likely draft picks this year. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Who are the guy you are talking about? The people here are passing on information they found which is exactly what people should be doing. It's then up to you to bitch about an 11th round pick who throws 94-96 with success against likely draft picks this year. 

Well if it's up to me about bitching about an 11th round pick, I'm sure gonna do it!  Y'know, while I should be actually doing my *real* work.  

I never said that the people here shouldn't be passing on information.  But if we're to assume information like that plays a role in picking a guy like this...eh, I'm not excited.

But here's hoping he's a stud in the making.  I was more hoping for HS talent with upside.  

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think we are going to se a lot of college seniors this year being drafted because of the short 5 round draft last year, most went back for their senior years. It's not going to be your typical Senior draftees.

Good point.  Thanks, this hadn't occurred to me.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well if it's up to me about bitching about an 11th round pick, I'm sure gonna do it!  Y'know, while I should be actually doing my *real* work.  

I never said that the people here shouldn't be passing on information.  But if we're to assume information like that plays a role in picking a guy like this...eh, I'm not excited.

But here's hoping he's a stud in the making.  I was more hoping for HS talent with upside.  

Why wouldn't it? At this point, these are lottery tickets. We are talking about 11th-20th draft picks. If a guy has played against questionable talent then gets against decent talent and dominates, why wouldn't that affect a decision on a player? Everytime a guy goes to a new level you have to evaluate them against that competition. The high they get with success, the better chance they have of success at the next level.

Personally I think you are on a schtick now and just bashing to bash. It's silly, but feel free to do so. So far I think they've made some interesting picks in the 11th - 13th round so far.