Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

9 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Feel free to brutalize me if my thinking is askew on this, but isn't this set up real well for a Padres/O's trade?  We trade Trey to a very good Padres team - giving him a chance he deserves and would love - to play on a team that will likely make the playoffs.  And we get a top prospect or 2 in return for taking on Hosmer's bad (but not horrific) contract and saving SD from the luxury tax.  And if Hosmer returns to his top form, he becomes tradable next year - especially if the O's chip in a bit for his salary.  

That trade would make sense, especially if the Padres chipped in a few mill/year for the last 3 years of his contract.  The Padres just don't want to exceed the luxury tax, which I believe moving Hosmer and his average contract value would do.  The current O's ownership seems to be obsessed with saving a few hundred thousand, so I can't see them taking on the millions owed Hosmer. 

9 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

DiPoto probably has half a dozen trades to do the next three days so maybe we haven't missed our chance yet.   Lookout Landing says he's given quotes it is first of a series of moves that will make sense, and not hard to picture Royals/Merrifield or Nationals/Turner wanting Toro as part of it.

Well they got Tyler Anderson.  Apparently some weren’t happy they dealt Graveman but I think it was a great move.  They traded a guy who is pitching completely over his head and got back someone who could be a long term fixture at a position that’s tough to fill.  Maybe Toro doesn’t pan out but for 3 months of an overvalued reliever?  You do that trade all the time.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Well they got Tyler Anderson.  Apparently some weren’t happy they dealt Graveman but I think it was a great move.  They traded a guy who is pitching completely over his head and got back someone who could be a long term fixture at a position that’s tough to fill.  Maybe Toro doesn’t pan out but for 3 months of an overvalued reliever?  You do that trade all the time.

I agree.  I understand the team is mad because they are in contention  but if he can get Toro, and replace Graveman with someone who is even 80-90% of the production he should do that.

From MLBTradeRumors:

Fry (60 2/3 innings) and Scott (61 innings) have near-identical innings totals over the past two seasons and have been similarly effective, relying on well above-average strikeout and ground-ball rates. Scott’s 2.51 ERA in that time has the edge on Fry’s 3.12 mark, but Fry has the edge in strikeout percentage (31.9 to 30.9) and ground-ball percentage (54.6 percent to 52.2 percent). Fry’s walk rate of 10.8 percent is worse than the league average but considerably lower than Scott’s mark of 14.3 percent. Scott, however, offers a blazing heater that has averaged 97 mph in 2021 and generates far more swinging strikes than Paul and his 93 mph fastball. It’s easy to see a club dreaming more on Scott’s stuff, but Fry’s demonstrably better control of the strike zone is a major point in his favor.”

I would be very happy to trade Scott, I would prefer to keep Fry.The article mentions that their value has increased due to some injuries and at least one trade. It will be interesting to see what the offers are.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Brewers get Eduardo Escobar.   That probably eliminates any chance they pursue Mancini (or perhaps that pursuit already happened and failed).

If I'm looking right, the Brewers gave up 2 guys not listed in their top 30.

Mancini may have been too prospect expensive for their taste.

13 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Brewers get Eduardo Escobar.   That probably eliminates any chance they pursue Mancini (or perhaps that pursuit already happened and failed).

It pains me to even think about it, but everyone knows the Red Sox have a need at 1B. I’m fully onboard with trading Trey to the Red Sox if it brings a return that helps the O’s get back to the playoffs. 

But emotionally I’ll be like this if such a trade happens:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9528507c5f36a95810030

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It pains me to even think about it, but everyone knows the Red Sox have a need at 1B. I’m fully onboard with trading Trey to the Red Sox if it brings a return that helps the O’s get back to the playoffs. 

I see a lot of speculation of Rizzo to the Red Sox but I don't think Bloom will give up enough in prospects for him. Rizzo is an expiring contract. To me, Mancini should be more prospect expensive. 

I see talk of Hosmer to Texas. Maybe that opens a door for Mancini to the Padres. Or maybe Bloom is good with moving some younger guys Elias feels really good about.

Yankees just got Gallo, so Hosmer to Texas for package with Gallo coming back didn’t happen. I’d love to be in the 3 team deal to buy a good prospect. Hosmer obviously would veto a landing of Baltimore. 

This won’t happen though. But Gallo, Judge, and Stanton in the same lineup is crazy.