Orioles trade discussion thread

Sports Guy

Just now, Philip said:

Means doesn’t have half of  Berrios’ value

Berrios is the more established pitcher, sure, but he is a FA after next season.  Means has three more years of control after this year.  It isn't as far apart as you think.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

A lot could happen between now and the deadline but I'm still thinking we stand pat.  Maybe trade a bullpen arm but that's it.  

Haha, you silly man. Know you not they received cash considerations for Lord Armstrong?

23 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m pretty sure ownership has given Mike carte blanche to reshape the organization as he sees fit, my own wonder is whether he has an artificial sense of what Mancini is worth and he’s insisting on too much?

Blocking a potential Mancini trade is not impossible but so foolish asked to be out of the realm of a reasonable possibilities

18 minutes ago, connja said:

Totally agree with this.  I also feel there is no way we get a good return, so expect him to be in the lineup tonight.

I would say it's more likely that Rizzo might have been the focus in the market prior to him going to the Yankees. He may remain in Baltimore, but I don't think that the only explanation is the team being unreasonable in its expectations. 

2 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I wonder if the haul the Twins got for Berrios would sway Elias to trade Means for a similar package... SD and even TB could provide that. 

Who all is left that has been rumored, Gibson, Gray, Pineda, Davies, Cobb, Hendricks? I'm sure I'm missing some names, but still a lot of guys left.

I would hope that a package similar to Berrios would sway Elias. They got two top 5 guys in return, I'd be pretty happy with that considering how Means has pitched in his rehab and ML games since coming back from injury.

25 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m pretty sure ownership has given Mike carte blanche to reshape the organization as he sees fit, my own wonder is whether he has an artificial sense of what Mancini is worth and he’s insisting on too much?

Blocking a potential Mancini trade is not impossible but so foolish asked to be out of the realm of a reasonable possibilities

I’m pretty sure you or I don’t know that. The owner’s last name is still Angelos. I want to say you’re right, but until I see evidence I don’t believe it.

I think folks here overestimate the value that a good (not great) right-handed hitting firstbaseman has for other teams.  And while I don't think Mancini is a great hitter, he's still the second best hitter on this team.  Neither Hays nor Mountcastle have stepped up as hoped.  Only Mullins has been better.  So Trey has more value here than anywhere else.  I would expect them to re-look at a Mancini trade during the off-season when more teams will be looking at building out their rosters for 2022.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Means doesn’t have half of  Berrios’ value

Not sure I agree

Berrios: 781.1 IP; 4.08 ERA; 106 ERA+; 4.01 FIP; 1.233 WHIP; 9.0 K/9; 3.08 K/BB; Pending FA

Means: 284.2 IP; 3.67 ERA; 126 ERA+; 4.64 FIP; 1.043 WHIP; 7.6 K/9; 4.07 K/BB; Three years remaining control