What have we learned so far?

Philip

Just now, Oriole1940 said:

I have learned this year, actually reinforced as to what I already knew, just how wide a gap the talent level is between the Orioles and their opponents in the AL East, and  other teams too, for that matter.  I honestly do not know what the answer is to narrowing that gap. other than just plain, dumb  luck. You would think by some element of Luck that  even if there is poor scouting, drafting, developing and trading, once in a while a player or two or three would turn out  to be above expectations.  I am still waiting.  

You'll get Mullins and like it!

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:07 PM, milbest77 said:

I have learned that Elias is sitting back collecting a paycheck. AR needs to be in Norfolk and they are clearly letting him wallow in Bowie to be cheap and manipulate his service time. Wait until Mancini goes to arbitration again and gets traded for a couple 16-year olds. And Mullins and Means will be asked to take “pay cuts” or be traded for a few baseball cards and a sack of marbles. 

I have said it before. Elias is here to cut payroll and eventually springboard to a better job.

16 hours ago, Oriole1940 said:

I have learned this year, actually reinforced as to what I already knew, just how wide a gap the talent level is between the Orioles and their opponents in the AL East, and  other teams too, for that matter.  I honestly do not know what the answer is to narrowing that gap. other than just plain, dumb  luck. You would think by some element of Luck that  even if there is poor scouting, drafting, developing and trading, once in a while a player or two or three would turn out  to be above expectations.  I am still waiting.  

I get that everyone is frustrated, I am too.  But at least be intellectually honest in critical debate.  I agree with many who question some of the things that Elias has done, but the honest truth is that we probably have to survive another 12-18 months to really evaluate his performance.

The second post points out the obvious, the gap between us and them.  Then overlooks that exactly what is hoped for is already happening.

It's getting very much like it was in Andy MacPhail's tenure when it seemed like everyone was negative.  All we need is for Tony to announce he has an expose coming on the broken system and we will be set.

I hope Elias has laid a good foundation, but it's time.  Elias doesn't have to tell us he plans to focus on the ML team next year but a signal is needed.  Emergence from the last dark period was signaled by a manager who basically said I love beating the AL East and their smarmy uppity execs...and a GM who said...we are going to win.

I dont know if Elias is succeeding.  I know the Organization is building talent in the "system".  But I do agree that it is time to see a better product at the Major League level.  Will we?  I think so, but I honestly don't know.  I do believe that if we do not see improvement, some will call for change.  Maybe that means we are failing and maybe it means we are where Elias said we'd be.  Time will tell, but it does feel like we are at a point..

They say it is always darkest before the dawn.  

This is when the Astros sent the message they were ready to compete.  The Astros were in the middle of a 111 loss season, so they were at rock bottom.  The decision makers of the Astros decided Altuve was a key piece for their future playoff runs and they wanted to lock him up for extra years.  The next year the Astros went 70-92 and the year after won 86 games. 

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astros-give-altuve-4-year-extension

• Like 1

7 hours ago, foxfield said:

I hope Elias has laid a good foundation, but it's time.  Elias doesn't have to tell us he plans to focus on the ML team next year but a signal is needed.  Emergence from the last dark period was signaled by a manager who basically said I love beating the AL East and their smarmy uppity execs...and a GM who said...we are going to win.

I dont know if Elias is succeeding.  I know the Organization is building talent in the "system".  But I do agree that it is time to see a better product at the Major League level.  Will we?  I think so, but I honestly don't know.    

In the manner of "your actions speak so loudly I can't hear what you're saying", the only "signal" that matters is signing some FA's that can make a difference at the ML level. Not $100M contracts but it seems reasonable to expect $20M PLUS to be invested in FA signings this winter. And I think that's a very modest ask.

• Upvote 1