Santander Homers Twice In Loss (Game Recap)

cboemmeljr

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

That's also the way I've seen it.  While Hays does get it - he says the right things in interviews about being selective - he's got to walk the walk (so to speak) much more often.  

Hays also does not seem to deal with off speed/breaking pitches well.  Overall, I'm just more bullish on Santander as a hitter when both are healthy.  Marginally better defense from Hays (they are both solid out there at 100 percent) and extra year of team control, really makes these guys a wash for me when I think about their future value.  Both are equally injury prone. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Hays also does not seem to deal with off speed/breaking pitches well.  Overall, I'm just more bullish on Santander as a hitter when both are healthy.  Marginally better defense from Hays (they are both solid out there at 100 percent) and extra year of team control, really makes these guys a wash for me when I think about their future value.  Both are equally injury prone. 

All good points.  And I think Santander does have a better eye at the plate.  I give Hays a small advantage because of his ability to play CF, and I really enjoy watching him play the OF. 

34 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I've always found Santander to be more selective even if they have similar walk rates.  Hays much more likely to get himself in 0-2 counts where as Santander is often aggressive after getting up in the count 2-0 or 3-1.  I have no numbers to back this up but that's what I've gathered from watching them hit.  

In their careers:

0-2: Santander 23.5% of the time, Hays 26.3% (2021 league average 21.3%)
2-0: Santander 11.4%, Hays 9.6% (13.6%)
3-1: Santander 6.1%, Hays 4.5% (8.6%)

In his career, Santander has swung at pitches outside the zone 38.7% of the time, and swung at pitches in the zone 72.1% of the time.   For Hays it’s 34.5% and 62.1%.   Both are being more selective this year than their career average.