Saturday afternoon August 14: Chris Sale makes his first start of the season

SteveA

Gametime: 4:10 pm

Forecast:  80s, slight chance of precipitation

MatchupJorge Lopez (R) vs Chris Sale (L)

Lineup

1. Austin Hays (R) RF
2. Trey Mancini (R) 1B
3. Pedro Severino (R) DH
4. Anthony Santander (S) LF
5. Ryan McKenna (R) CF
6. Maikel Franco (R) 3B
7. Jorge Mateo (R) 2B
8. Richie Martin (R) SS
9. Austin Wynns (R) C

1. Enrique Hernandez (R) 2B
2. Alex Verdugo (L) LF
3. Xander Bogaerts (R) SS
4. Rafael Devers (L) 3B
5. J.D. Martinez (R) DH
6. Hunter Renfroe (R) RF
7. Jarren Duran (L) CF
8. Christian Vazquez (R) C
9. Bobby Dalbec (R) 1B

Orioles Bench
Cedric Mullins (L)
DJ Stewart (L)
Ramon Urias (R)

Bullpen Availability (last pitched)

Available
   Paul Fry*  1.0 IP, 13p Wednesday 
   Adam Plutko 2.0 IP, 48p Tuesday
   Tanner Scott* 1.0 IP, 15p Thursday
   Cole Sulser  1.0 IP, 12p Thursday
   Dillon Tate,  1.0 IP, 10p Wednesday
   Tyler Wells 1.0 IP, 13p Thursday

Maybe Available
   Marcos Diplan 1.2 IP, 33p Thursday;  2.0 IP, 22p Tuesday

Not Available
   Dusten Knight 2.0 IP, 40p last night;  2.0 IP, 32p Wednesday
   Cesar Valdez 2.0 IP, 32p last night; 1.0 IP, 10p Wednesday

* denotes a lefthander

• Thanks 1

Game Notes

• Cedric Mullins, who has a 20 game hitting streak, is out of the lineup.   Hyde says it is just  day off, but it seems noteworthy that Cedric left last night's game early.   Obviously we are facing one of the top LHPs in all of MLB and Hyde has gone out of his way to get an all RH lineup, even putting Pedro Severino at DH.
  • Ramon Urias was nursing a sore leg and is out of the lineup for the second straight day
  • Bruce Zimmerman will not be coming off the IL to take Keegan Akin's spot in the rotation tomorrow.   He suffered a sprained ankle which Hyde describes as a "workout injury", so he will miss some more time.
  • Ryan Mountcastle is eligible to come off the concussion IL but it does not appear he is ready to return to play yet.
  • Chris Sale is making his first start in two years and one day.  He had Tommy John surgery in March 2020, after being shut down for the rest of the season in August of 2019.
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, KillerTofu said:

When did Mountcastle get hit in the head with that glove? I mean, NFL players get hit way harder than that and are back way sooner than this. I don’t understand.

It's been a week.  Of course Brian Roberts suffered concussion side effects literally for years.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

It's been a week.  Of course Brian Roberts suffered concussion side effects literally for years.

I was actually thinking the same thing so I take that back. I’m just frustrated. I’m a competitive person and I’m just tired of the losing, Steve.