08/18 Roster Moves: RHP Zack Burdi claimed off waivers from the Chicago White Sox and optioned to Norfolk; LHP Ryan Hartman has been designated for assignment

OsFanSinceThe80s

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is the exact type of move we should be doing. Claiming a struggling reliever, with 100mph potential, from a contending team that is in a 40 man crunch. 

@Tony-OH I would assume Burdi will rank in our top 30-40 prospects since he still has status. The two options are a bonus. 

We have some real hard throwers in AAA now with Burdi and Bautista. Those are type of lotto tickets we need.  

Another plus of finishing last, is that we will have top waiver priority all offseason. 

I'll have to look at him closely but he's got a very straight fastball that has been lit up by major league hitters despite the velocity. Everything is below average though if he can keep his slider glove side and low and his fastball up in the zone he can have success. Just appears he makes too many mistake in the middle of the plate. 

Worth a look but will be a good test to see if Holt's system can find something with this arm. Conner Green had a similar arm but wasn't able to find sustained success in AAA or the majors with the Orioles so we'll have to see. 

Velocity has dropped 2 MPH since last year so that's a concern. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I'll have to look at him closely but he's got a very straight fastball that has been lit up by major league hitters despite the velocity. Everything is below average though if he can keep his slider glove side and low and his fastball up in the zone he can have success. Just appears he makes too many mistake in the middle of the plate. 

Worth a look but will be a good test to see if Holt's system can find something with this arm. Conner Green had a similar arm but wasn't able to find sustained success in AAA or the majors with the Orioles so we'll have to see. 

This is maybe just me, but I thought the O's cut bait on Greene awfully quick. Could have easily DFA'd Plutko earlier if you wanted a fresh arm. Greene is a guy I wanted a longer look at. 

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is maybe just me, but I thought the O's cut bait on Greene awfully quick. Could have easily DFA'd Plutko earlier if you wanted a fresh arm. Greene is a guy I wanted a longer look at. 

Greene is a guy who needs to have a good pitching coach to make him cut down his repertoire. I was surprised how fast they DFA'd him when there were others that could have easily been cut first. Amazingly the Dodgers claimed him, he threw two scoreless innings and they optioned him so they found a way to keep him on the their 40-man and the Orioles couldn't. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

8 homers allowed in 24 AAA IP. Yikes. You always have to take chances on velocity. Hopefully, he can regain his pre TJ surgery form, which not having a MILB season could’ve slowed his recovery, game experience wise. 

I look at him as the type of guy you’d take a flyer on in the rule 5, except he has two options remaining. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Greene is a guy who needs to have a good pitching coach to make him cut down his repertoire. I was surprised how fast they DFA'd him when there were others that could have easily been cut first. Amazingly the Dodgers claimed him, he threw two scoreless innings and they optioned him so they found a way to keep him on the their 40-man and the Orioles couldn't. 

Would you be implying that the current Orioles pitching coach isn't the guy to do that job? 

batman-thinking.gif

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sisco has been our only player claimed off waivers this year. There’s a really good chance that Greene is back in AAA

2 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Would you be implying that the current Orioles pitching coach isn't the guy to do that job? 

batman-thinking.gif

All I can say is Green has a pretty good arm and decent changeup and he was buried in AAA barely throwing on a schedule and then used a few times in the majors than quickly DFA'd. Weird the Orioles felt so little of him yet the Dodgers claimed him and then optioned him like the Orioles could have done. 

But no worries, we have 275 year old Cesar Valdez and his 80 MPH trick pitch and mister "everything is below average plus a 90 mph fastball" Konner Wade still on the 40-man.

Just weird. Maybe Green doesn't listen and have heard he's a little "squirrely" but seemed like an arm a good pitching coach can do something with especially since Greene is still throwing like 5 pitches in relief instead of focusing on perhaps his top 2 or maybe 3 offerings. 

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

All I can say is Green has a pretty good arm and decent changeup and he was buried in AAA barely throwing on a schedule and then used a few times in the majors than quickly DFA'd. Weird the Orioles felt so little of him yet the Dodgers claimed him and then optioned him like the Orioles could have done. 

But no worries, we have 275 year old Cesar Valdez and his 80 MPH trick pitch and mister "everything is below average plus a 90 mph fastball" Konner Wade still on the 40-man.

Just weird. Maybe Green doesn't listen and have heard he's a little "squirrely" but seemed like an arm a good pitching coach can do something with especially since Greene is still throwing like 5 pitches in relief instead of focusing on perhaps his top 2 or maybe 3 offerings. 

This is what worries me the Dodgers are a well oiled machine and they decided to take a chance on Greene. Valdez is in his twilight years and will be out of baseball as soon as 2022. I just hope this doesn't end up as an example of Elias misjudging a player. 

8 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

This is what worries me the Dodgers are a well oiled machine and they decided to take a chance on Greene. Valdez is in his twilight years and will be out of baseball as soon as 2022. I just hope this doesn't end up as an example of Elias misjudging a player. 

They are a well oiled machine that just paid Hamels a million bucks to throw a couple of practice games.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They are a well oiled machine that just paid Hamels a million bucks to throw a couple of practice games.

And they have a big commitment to Bauer who is not likely to pitch again.