Jorge Mateo 2021

interloper

On 8/18/2021 at 10:38 PM, Pickles said:

I second this.

I liked Pie.  He was a great guy to give a chance.  He had his moments but ultimately didn't pan out.

Mateo is probably destined to the same fate.  But he deserves an opportunity.

At this point, I personally would be giving him chances over Stewart.

Thanks for reminding me of Felix Pie.  He was one of the most fun and colorful Orioles ever.   Remember how he used to be in charge of retrieving the batting helmet after a walk-off home run?  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2021 at 12:36 PM, Three Run Homer said:

His speed is legit, and he seems to have good raw power.  Right now the hits are falling in and so he is productive, but his OBP is entirely driven by batting average and his batting average is being inflated by a high BABIP.  So I'm not optimistic in the long term that he could be a regular player, but if he has enough defensive versatility he could be a useful utility guy.  

Agreed. The plate discipline is concerning, but he’s a definite upgrade over Valaika. Exciting player to watch and a little unexpected pop. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2021 at 1:36 PM, Three Run Homer said:

His speed is legit, and he seems to have good raw power.  Right now the hits are falling in and so he is productive, but his OBP is entirely driven by batting average and his batting average is being inflated by a high BABIP.  So I'm not optimistic in the long term that he could be a regular player, but if he has enough defensive versatility he could be a useful utility guy.  

Does BABIP adjust for speed?

On 8/20/2021 at 1:42 PM, Three Run Homer said:

Thanks for reminding me of Felix Pie.  He was one of the most fun and colorful Orioles ever.   Remember how he used to be in charge of retrieving the batting helmet after a walk-off home run?  

Pie had had quite the tour of the foreign leagues. He’s still playing this year in the Mexican League. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=pie---001fel

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Coggins came up with Bumbry.  I don't think he ever played with Blair.

Did Brady Anderson, Finley, and Devo play together for a year - before the infamous Glenn Davis trade?

I think someone looked that up, maybe @Frobby, and determined they were only on the field together maybe a handful of times.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Coggins came up with Bumbry.  I don't think he ever played with Blair.

Did Brady Anderson, Finley, and Devo play together for a year - before the infamous Glenn Davis trade?

Coggins, Bumbry, Baylor and Blair were all outfielders on the team in 1973-74 (Coggins traded for Singleton for '75 season)

3 minutes ago, now said:

Coggins, Bumbry, Baylor and Blair were all outfielders on the team in 1973-74 (Coggins traded for Singleton for '75 season)

You're absolutely right.  I had forgotten Bumbry played LF in his early Baltimore year.  Wow, that was a lot of speed.  If Baylor hadn't had that shoulder injury that ruined has arm, who knows how good of an OFer he could have become.   

• Upvote 1