MLB Salary Floor

brvn52

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure they do, they go from bad to mediocre.

I'm not a huge fan of forcing spending but if I'm a big market team I'm not happy about handing my profits over to a team that is pocketing it with a smile while they are lowering the quality of the product.

That implies all FA signings/extensions work out? How good were the 2018 Orioles? 

The big market teams who sign the elite FA’s and then get pissed the other teams don’t overpay for the scraps? Those teams? 

The Yankees can sign Cole but if the Orioles don’t sign a lesser pitcher for significant money that not fair. Poor Yankees. 

25 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

There are exceptions to every rule.  Oakland and TB aren't tanking and yet their salaries are in the bottom 1/3 of the sport.  How do you get them to bump up their payroll when they can't get out of their outdated ballparks?

By giving them money?  That's a part of the proposed deal.

6 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

Wait, What?  Will the Chris Davis 2022 salary count towards next years floor? 

I would assume no since it’s all deferred. But I’d guess he’d count $9.16M for 2023-25, $3.5M for 2026-32, and $1.4M for 2033-37 based on his deferrals. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

That implies all FA signings/extensions work out? How good were the 2018 Orioles? 

The big market teams who sign the elite FA’s and then get pissed the other teams don’t overpay for the scraps? Those teams? 

The Yankees can sign Cole but if the Orioles don’t sign a lesser pitcher for significant money that not fair. Poor Yankees. 

Yes poor Yankees.  I'd be right pissed if I were handing my profits over to another owner who was then pocketing it while simultaneously damaging the value of my franchise.

The whole issue with this is it implies all situations are created equal and all players all equal. 

The system underpays young talent which is by far the most productive so in order to cancel that out older less productive players need to be paid more. 

How about fixing the system first.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

The whole issue with this is it implies all situations are created equal and all players all equal. 

The system underpays young talent which is by far the most productive so in order to cancel that out older less productive players need to be paid more. 

How about fixing the system first.  

This is part of fixing the system.

It isn't the only issue but it's part of the problem.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes poor Yankees.  I'd be right pissed if I were handing my profits over to another owner who was then pocketing it while simultaneously damaging the value of my franchise.

Yeah, the Yankees value is being damaged by the Orioles being terrible instead of just being really bad. 

Once again do the Yankees and small market teams shop at the same store? 

The Yankees want small market teams to buy players they don’t want for more than they are worth.

This is part of fixing the system.

It isn't the only issue but it's part of the problem.

How does it fix anything. 

The best players are not even available to the bad teams. They are already property of another team.  Then the handful of good players who reach FA are offered the most money by the big market clubs. 

Competition is based off of talent not money. 

Not that I am for it the only way to stop big market clubs would be a salary cap. That’s not happening. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Yeah, the Yankees value is being damaged by the Orioles being terrible instead of just being really bad. 

Once again do the Yankees and small market teams shop at the same store? 

The Yankees want small market teams to buy players they don’t want for more than they are worth.

Of course they are being damaged.  Do you think it is a coincidence the lowest ever attended Rays game was against the 2021 Orioles?

Lower attendance and fewer tv viewers hurts the league as a whole.  

When you have multiple teams doing it over multiple years the effect is magnified.

The Orioles are damaging the MLB brand.

I can certainly see why other teams would be unhappy.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Of course they are being damaged.  Do you think it is a coincidence the lowest ever attended Rays game was against the 2021 Orioles?

Lower attendance and fewer tv viewers hurts the league as a whole.  

When you have multiple teams doing it over multiple years the effect is magnified.

The Orioles are damaging the MLB brand.

I can certainly see why other teams would be unhappy.

So the sexy teams don’t provide better ticket sales and higher TV ratings? Why is there dynamic pricing if all teams are equal? 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

So the sexy teams don’t provide better ticket sales and higher TV ratings? Why is there dynamic pricing if all teams are equal? 

If you are a Rays fan would you rather watch a competitive game or what has currently been happening in their series with the Orioles?

Are you a fan of watching one team getting curb stomped three games in a row?

I'd rather watch competitive baseball.

If you are a Rays fan would you rather watch a competitive game or what has currently been happening in their series with the Orioles?

Are you a fan of watching one team getting curb stomped three games in a row?

I'd rather watch competitive baseball.

I want my team to win. That’s what I would want.