Plan for .500 on $20M (Constructive Posts Only, Please)

Aristotelian

5 hours ago, jdwilde1 said:

Here’s a link to the 2022 MLB unrestricted free agent class.  https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/ufa/

Some really big names are available.  Also, quite a few ex-O’s including Cobb, Bundy, Gausman, Eduardo Rodriguez, Andrew Miller, Zach Davies, and Nelson Cruz.

Another question is what would you do if the $100M floor is adopted (although I expect it would be implemented in stages).

Bryant, Stroman and David Price.  

That should cost 60-70M in 2022.

• 11 months later...

Just bumping this thread to take a look at the plan I proposed in hindsight. It turned out the O's spent about half what I proposed on different players but we are close to the .500 mark I was hoping for. Instead of Ray/Harrison/Boxberger putting up 6 WAR, we got Lyles/Odor  on track for about 1 WAR. That means the vast majority of our improvement has come from internal sources. If we had gone with my plan, Boxberger probably does little to help us but with Ray instead of Lyles we might be in position for the wild card instead of a couple games out. Still, Elias got us to essentially the same place at lower cost and without a commitment to Ray. 

C - I projected Rutschman for 4 wins. Looks like he could hit that. 

IF - I was looking for 2 WAR from Harrison. Instead we got replacement level from Odor but Mateo is exceeding that. 

OF/DH - I projected 4 WAR from Mullins, 1.5 Hays, 1 Santander, 1.5 Mancini. This looks pretty good give or take. 

Rotation - My rotation prediction is completely off. I had been projecting about 3 WAR each from Means, Grayson, and Ray. Instead we got 0 from Lyles. We should be getting destroyed and yet our rotation of Wells, Lyles, Voth, Wakins, and Kremer has made up at least some of that ground. 

Bullpen - I had somehow left out Wells and Tate from my post and instead had a bullpen of Boxberger, Sulser, Scott, Hunter Harvey (remember him?) and Bautista putting up 5 WAR. Instead we've gotten perhaps 10 WAR from a combination of Jorge, Bautista, Tate, Akin, Krehbiel, and Perez. Bautista was the only guy I got remotely right. 

Basically what seems to have happened is the pitching has wildly outperformed resulting in a pace that actually puts us ahead of .500. Still tough to imagine this holds up without Means and now Wells plus losing Grayson before his season even started. 

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Nah man. Sorry you may not agree with me, but I'm definitely not that guy.
    • I'm not sure if it's been posted or not but his RC+ at 19 in AA is up there with names like Soto, Acuna, Holliday, Camineiro.   I think we have arguably 3 of the top 5-7 prospects in baseball with Holliday, Mayo, and Basallo.  
    • I don't think Basallo is untouchable.   You just don't trade him unless you are getting a no. 1-2 starter with several years of control remaining. I expect him to be a very good major league hitter but still worry about his defense.  I picked this up from the Fangraphs org review yesterday: "His arm strength is great and there were times last year when it looked incredible, but Basallo has been popping closer to 1.95 so far this year and his footwork is often pretty sloppy. As is true of a lot of catchers his age, he could stand to be more accurate and consistent coming out of his crouch. His receiving isn’t good, but it isn’t so terrible that it damns him to first base. His ball blocking might though, and it’s this area of Basallo’s game that most needs to improve. If this skill doesn’t progress, or if his size quickly forces him to move out from behind the plate, then his issues with chase would suddenly become more of a problem, though we’re probably still talking about a strong enough hit/power combo for Basallo to be an everyday first baseman." Basallo is young enough that he may overcome his defensive shortcomings and remain at C, but that remains a real risk for me.
    • I think that goes both ways though. He was playing pro ball under pro instruction at 16 when the US guys were playing HS varsity and still years away from pro instruction. The travel ball system in the US is extremely flawed. The kids live to play baseball in other countries and they DO have baseball resources available...how else could he have been on a MLB teams radar at 15 years old?
    • Agreed. I expect to see him sometime next season. Start with one of AAA catchers as a Backup and then move them along when Basallo is ready about this time next season.
    • Age at level is just one column on the statsheet, but it's maybe THE most substantial one to look at.  I understand the question you're asking in this thread. I think the argument SG and others are making could be said more gently as, you're acknowledging but still underrating how important the age aspect really is. Good performance at younger-than-level ages isn't just a nice feature, it's a huge indicator of future greatness. 
    • I think we go to a semi 6 man rotation and try and line up our rotation with that Yankees series right before the break.  I think in the 2nd half we'll see a 6 man rotation sometimes with the goal being to keep Burnes and Grayson rested for the playoffs.  Definitely 6 man if we get a vet like Scherzer.  
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now