Connolly article on pitching

Sports Guy

Anyway, Connolly's concerns aren't unwarranted. But like, we sorta already knew the pitching was thin. The fact that it's thin and the farm is rated as high as it is means things are at least trending up. Our pitching prospects have largely disappointed this year so it is what it is.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Of course not, when he was with the Astros they used to draft pitchers.  ?

And yesterday, the argument was that was "they" not "he" so what "they" did was no indication of what "he" would do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one more draft heavy on college position players but who knows what to expect. I'm really interested to find out if any reasonable investment is made in FA pitching this winter or if the O's are happy to go one more slog year.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anyway, Connolly's concerns aren't unwarranted. But like, we sorta already knew the pitching was thin. The fact that it's thin and the farm is rated as high as it is means things are at least trending up. Our pitching prospects have largely disappointed this year so it is what it is.

I think we all recognized that we had two top flight guys in G-Rod and Hall and were thinking that a guy or two could step up.  Thin, maybe...but there was room for growth.  

Now it's glaringly obvious that the pitching is thin.

Just now, 7Mo said:

And yesterday, the argument was that was "they" not "he" so what "they" did was no indication of what "he" would do.

I wouldn't be surprised to see one more draft heavy on college position players but who knows what to expect. I'm really interested to find out if any reasonable investment is made in FA pitching this winter or if the O's are happy to go one more slog year.

You saw the emoticon right?

Was a joke.

1 minute ago, 7Mo said:

It's my guess that we'll end up with a FA starter who isn't part of the long term solution, and we'll all be pretty pissed about it. 

8 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I agree as well. I wouldn't be surprised if our best avenue to get a young plus starter was as a package deal that takes on a bad contract as well. Would you sign with the O's if you were a FA starter? Do we have the surplus offensive parts to acquire a young plus starter? Since both of those are a clear "no", I hope ownership is open to such a trade. Hopefully moreso now that Davis is off the roster (though we're still paying him). But that doesn't mean that such a deal is out there this offseason. I hope Elias will be hunting down those opportunities instead of hoping they come to him. 

I wouldn’t sign with the Os if I were looking for a 1 year deal to re-establish value…thus why I think Noah Syndegaard is a pipe dream.

But for a big contract, multi year thing?  Sure.

Of course, this is another reason Adley should be up here..to build that rep on the Ml level of being a catcher you want to work with.

1 minute ago, UMDTerrapins said:

It's my guess that we'll end up with a FA starter who isn't part of the long term solution, and we'll all be pretty pissed about it. 

That's a pretty safe guess.

By sitting out the trade deadline, I'd like to think money will be spent this offseason. If not, this is going to be one very, very slow build.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

I wouldn’t sign with the Os if I were looking for a 1 year deal to re-establish value…thus why I think Noah Syndegaard is a pipe dream.

But for a big contract, multi year thing?  Sure.

Of course, this is another reason Adley should be up here..to build that rep on the Ml level of being a catcher you want to work with.

Noah might have damaged his market yesterday.

But beyond the bad state of pitching right now, the biggest question is why? People in this thread have pointed to Lowther, A. Wells, Akin, Zimmermann, Kremer, Baumann, Smith and others as part of the solution, but most of them are the reason it's been such a terrible year. 

Elias needs to figure this out. He needs those guys who are dominating in AA to be good major leaguers. They don't need to be elite, but we should be able to fill out a solid rotation from, say, #'s 4-7, and have a very competitive bullpen.

It's not like Elias didn't have a plan to accomplish that, it's that his plan went up in flames. An unmitigated disaster. That's the real story and we kind of just have to hope that he can figure out how to make it work.

Elias didn’t draft a pitcher this year until what round? He missed on two first round pitchers in Houston so has come to the conclusion, just pass on top level pitchers in the draft, particularly the first round. Doesn’t sound like decision making based on data, sounds like decision making based on fear.