Robbie Ray

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Are you saying you think Ray wouldn’t sign with the O’s for under $100 mm, or are you saying you think some other team will offer him $100 mm?   To me, he’s not worth anywhere near that.   

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets 5/100.  This isn’t an outstanding FA crop for SP.  You don’t have Cole/Strasburg blowing up the top end of the market so bigger pocket teams will be in play.

Ryu got 4/80 as a 32 year old.  Wheeler 115M.  

9 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets 5/100.  This isn’t an outstanding FA crop for SP.  You don’t have Cole/Strasburg blowing up the top end of the market so bigger pocket teams will be in play.

Ryu got 4/80 as a 32 year old.  Wheeler 115M.  

Ryu before free agency: 54-33, 2.98 ERA (129 ERA+).

Wheeler before free agency: 44-38, 3.77 ERA (100 ERA+)

Ray as of now: 58-56, 4.07 ERA (108 ERA).

I guess I can’t really debate that some team could view Wheeler as a good comp for Ray and cough up $100 mm+.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ryu before free agency: 54-33, 2.98 ERA (129 ERA+).

Wheeler before free agency: 44-38, 3.77 ERA (100 ERA+)

Ray as of now: 58-56, 4.07 ERA (108 ERA).

I guess I can’t really debate that some team could view Wheeler as a good comp for Ray and cough up $100 mm+.

Ryu was also coming off an injury plagued year and a bit older.  But, yeah, his resume is better that Ray’s. 

I’m not taking into consideration that the owners may do some “lite-collusion” and keep FA prices down prior to a labor fight.  

29 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Ryu was also coming off an injury plagued year and a bit older.  But, yeah, his resume is better that Ray’s. 

I’m not taking into consideration that the owners may do some “lite-collusion” and keep FA prices down prior to a labor fight.  

Well, I do have a basic question.   The agreement expires 12/1.   Can/will the owners sign anyone if no CBA is in place then?   

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Ok scratching Ray off my wish list, he's going to be too expensive for the Orioles (Angelos). 

Yea.  I think people are right on here.  The Wheeler comp was really well done.

I think whatever team signs him will regret it but he likely will get a lot more than I originally thought.

10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d be shocked, happily so, if they sign Ray. They’ll put off actually signing anyone of his caliber until they do contend, not to help them get there.

Probably true. Still, how do you contend purely based on home grown prospects? It's a chicken egg thing. We did sign Cobb after finishing last in 2017 but we are a different level of bad now.