This choking bullpen is killing me

Frobby

23 hours ago, scOtt said:

And I understand. It's hard to watch. Not completely unexpected against the Skanks but still tough to watch.

This bullpen implosion has us BACK in the "race" for the #1 pick. A month, 6 weeks ago it looked like we couldn't catch AZ.

I am not, and never will be, a guy who roots for us to lose so we can get a better draft pick.   

On 9/16/2021 at 5:10 PM, scOtt said:

And I understand. It's hard to watch. Not completely unexpected against the Skanks but still tough to watch.

This bullpen implosion has us BACK in the "race" for the #1 pick. A month, 6 weeks ago it looked like we couldn't catch AZ.

Think how bad the 2018 O's would have been with this bullpen.  They probably would have blown past the Mets' 120 losses.

31 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Think how bad the 2018 O's would have been with this bullpen.  They probably would have blown past the Mets' 120 losses.

That team had only 46 save opportunities all year, and saved 28 of them (18 blown saves).  This team has had 45 opportunities and saved 22 (23 blown saves).   I expect they’ll get another 4-5 opportunities before the season ends.   

Also, that pen had a W-L record of 19-31.   This year’s pen is 26-29 despite their terrible ERA.   Not quite sure how that’s happened.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That team had only 46 save opportunities all year, and saved 28 of them (18 blown saves).  This team has had 45 opportunities and saved 22 (23 blown saves).   I expect they’ll get another 4-5 opportunities before the season ends.   

Also, that pen had a W-L record of 19-31.   This year’s pen is 26-29 despite their terrible ERA.   Not quite sure how that’s happened.   

I thought the 2018 pen was better than that.  I guess it had some name relievers.  I mostly remember being down 5 runs in the 3rd inning a lot.  There were obviously many instances I don't remember of the bullpen coughing up the lead.  The 2018 was the most unwatchable team in my memory.  At least the guys this year are giving solid effort even though they are woefully short on talent.

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I thought the 2018 pen was better than that.  I guess it had some name relievers.  I mostly remember being down 5 runs in the 3rd inning a lot.  There were obviously many instances I don't remember of the bullpen coughing up the lead.  The 2018 was the most unwatchable team in my memory.  At least the guys this year are giving solid effort even though they are woefully short on talent.

The 61% save rate from 2018 is subpar but not rock bottom.   A few teams fall below that every year.    19-31 W/L is obviously quite terrible.   The big losers were Givens (0-7) and Castro (2-7), both of whom had ERAs slightly under 4.00 but somehow managed to lose a ton of games.  The rest of the pen went 17-17 despite a collective ERA slightly over 5.00.   Go figure.   

Credit where it’s due.   Sulser came in with runners on 1st and 3rd and two outs, got the third out and pitched a clean 8th inning.   Wells made it interesting with two fly outs to the wall, then got the third out on a “routine” pop out that squirted out of Severino’s glove momentarily before he snagged it.   So. 7 outs and no baserunners for the pen, preserving a 2-0 lead.   Good job.   

• Upvote 1