Trade possibility - Dallas Keuchel

Just Regular

Wow, has he been bad this year.   I saw an early season start where the hometown announcers had an anecdote like Keuchel's making it 162 games again plan was ramping up more slowly, throwing easier in the spring.  It hasn't worked.   He has 1/19.5 left on his contract for 2022, and if they wanted to move on from him, for the White Sox it would be one of those money or players choices.   Under contract, so no player wooing needed.

White Sox having a great year, helped by Cease growth, Lynn excellence and Carlos Rodon making himself soooo much $$$ this year.   Reynaldo Lopez pitching better after vision correction surgery, I'm not sure if Kopech/Crochet are forever relievers in their mind, or how much urgency they will have for keeping their homegrown Rodon, belatedly brilliant.   October performances could color the juju any number of ways.

Anyhow, entering 2022, White Sox SP options:

Arb2 Lucas Giolito

Market price Lance Lynn

<Impending FA Carlos Rodon>

0-3 club Dylan Cease

Keuchel/Reynaldo/Kopech/Crochet?

They are blowing out the division and probably will again next year - Keuchel is a 162-tool more than an October tool, and if they can retain Rodon, then I think they need to give Keuchel ~$20M next year about as much as they need Eloy to tackle a wall.   Keuchel like Price checks some of the Sutcliffe-ian boxes, and can probably soak up innings credibly another year.  

The current club player relationship may have to weather one of those "don't make the playoff roster" type things before the offseason, so a Baltimore reassignment might not be as rough for him as some other established veterans.   Would $20M be enough to get Syndergaard to rehab here and Keuchel for a PTBNL?

Way to old and expensive for the youthful rebuilding Orioles.  And not even that effective since he left the Braves is he ?

But I like your aggressive approach.  

I don't even think the Orioles WANT to win yet.  Why ?  Because they're not using their early draft choices to select college pitchers that are near major league ready.   Look at the last 3 drafts, draw your own conclusions.

8 hours ago, waynebug said:

Way to old and expensive for the youthful rebuilding Orioles.  And not even that effective since he left the Braves is he ?

But I like your aggressive approach.  

I don't even think the Orioles WANT to win yet.  Why ?  Because they're not using their early draft choices to select college pitchers that are near major league ready.   Look at the last 3 drafts, draw your own conclusions.

What people need to understand is we can “want to win” as much as we can right now. If that ain’t happening anytime soon. Why?  Because the other 4 teams in our division are likely going to win 90 games this season with no signs of slowing down in 2022. Our best chance is to trade Mullins, Means, Mancini for the best packages possible and try to LOAD up for 2024+.

People need to be realistic. Our division is freaking loaded. Winning 82 games gets you diddly poo and we could call everyone up, sign Correa, trade for a SP, and still no touch 82 wins until 2024. Sorry. 

9 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Our division is freaking loaded. Winning 82 games gets you diddly poo and we could call everyone up, sign Correa, trade for a SP, and still no touch 82 wins until 2024. Sorry. 

I agree with the "loaded" observation but if we move from 50 to 80 wins a good number of those wins will come against those 4 teams because of unbalanced schedule. That said, we could spend $25 M next year (EdRod $15, 4-5 yrs, Harvey 2 M, about Castro 3B, $5 M, Iggy $2 M, new backup C) approach 65-70 wins and get a better understanding of what we have in Mullins, Means, Mancini, Mountcastle, maybe sell high midyear, and have a clearer picture of what we have in Mayo & Co, Kjerstad, Baumlier. We would still get another top 10 draft pick and could put a watchable product on the field. After Means, EdRod, Harvey, none of the prospects have enough success or IP to warrant a fulltime role in 22 so use tandems for the last 2 slots like is being done in the minors. 7 guys stay on a starter schedule (Akin, Kremer, Zimmerman, Lowther) with something like Lopez, Ellis, Woods in long relief. That leaves 3-4 slots for the backend which we won't need frequently. Somebody craps the bed you move on to Wells, Baughman, etc and shuffle the chairs.

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Who is paying Keuchel's salary in that scenario? 

Syndergaard is interesting. Keuchel looks better than Harvey but I still wouldn't pay anywhere near $20M. If Chicago would pay $15M, sure. 

Knowing how the O's operate, the O's would send a prospect to the White Sox to have them pick up a larger part of Keuchel's salary. 

Would rather have DeScalfani, Grienke, Jon Gray, E-Rod, Anderson or Urena as pitchers who will likely cost $8-$13 AAV, if not less.

Now if the white Sox want to ship Keuchel and a prospect out for the salary relief, thats the type of deal rebuilding teams are going to need to start embracing especially if there's a salary floor at $100 m in the next few years.

35 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Would rather have DeScalfani, Grienke, Jon Gray, E-Rod, Anderson or Urena as pitchers who will likely cost $8-$13 AAV, if not less.

Now if the white Sox want to ship Keuchel and a prospect out for the salary relief, thats the type of deal rebuilding teams are going to need to start embracing especially if there's a salary floor at $100 m in the next few years.

I didn't Grienke was a free agent.  O's should definitely be interested in him.  Free agent prices are always higher than predicted, especially for pitchers.  Wonder if 2 years/25-30 mill would do it?