Akin, Kremer, Lowther, Zimmerman, Wells

Bahama O's Fan

As much as I hate this, I think we do have to figure out if we have anything with these guys. Plus, there are some guys in AAA we need to look at soon. 2022 needs to be an internal inventory year on the pitching side to see what we need to add to “compete” in 2023. 

I’m hoping we could use these guys in 3IP stints and not push for 5IP. Let’s at least get something out of them. 26 man roster and all. Tampa Bay has used 47 different pitchers this season. 

I really hope next year is a building year at the Major League level rather than another one treading water at the highest level while the farm is the focus. That said, I would LOVE to see the Orioles go out and add a Major League starter this offseason to pair with Means. And by that, I mean something more certain than Matt Harvey (Jon Gray, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Anthony DeSclafani are my top choices). 

If one of those can be added, that leaves us with three spots until we see Grayson Rodriguez. I expect the Akin, Kremer, Baumann, Ellis, Zimmermann, Lowther and Wells to be in battle for those three spots. Ultimately, we may see Baumann start in AAA, but I would love for him to get one one of the spots. I also wouldn't mind seeing some of these guys piggy backing each other. 

I don't think Tyler Wells should be stretched out. Keep in the bullpen and be careful about doing too many back to backs. 

I think Zimmerman has been the most consistent of this group and should get a chance to start the season in the rotation in pretty much any scenario. I also think Akin has shown enough over the second half that I would be OK with him in the rotation to start the year. 

Lowther, Kremer, and Alexander Wells probably start the season in the minors or pegged for the minors as soon as Grayson is promoted. 

If I was running the show - I would be very active in the free agent market picking up arms -- both starter and reliever.  Bring in vets on 2 or 3-year contracts and let them mentor the young pitchers coming up.  Bring in a lot of pitchers and let them compete for jobs.  It shouldn't be difficult to get a few pitchers.  Agents have to see how many spots are available and convince their clients to jump aboard.

Wells finished with arguably his best outing of the year, allowing 1 run (leadoff homer on 3 hits and 2 walks, striking out 2.   He seemed comfortable and confident throughout the outing.   Nice way for him to finish his season.    

6 hours ago, Yossarian said:

If I was running the show - I would be very active in the free agent market picking up arms -- both starter and reliever.  Bring in vets on 2 or 3-year contracts and let them mentor the young pitchers coming up.  Bring in a lot of pitchers and let them compete for jobs.  It shouldn't be difficult to get a few pitchers.  Agents have to see how many spots are available and convince their clients to jump aboard.

Hmm, are you Elias under an alias? Sounds like an accurate summary of his remarks on that topic today. :)

I don’t want to rid of any of them. But I don’t think any of them earned a Opening Day Rotation spot either. That doesn’t mean they won’t get starts. Every team needs more than their 5 initial starters. Good chance the 5 projected starters aren’t even healthy on Opening Day. 

Something like this would be my ideal situation:

A. MLB Rotation: (1) John Means, (2) Bruce Zimmermann, (3) Tyler Wells, (4) legit major league starting pitcher free agent, (5) and I actually wouldn’t mind bringing back Matt Harvey to compete for the 5th spot. But not on a guaranteed deal or with a guaranteed spot. And if he did make it, actually cut bait if 2021 first half Matt Harvey shows his face again. 

B. Chris Ellis and Keegan Akin: the righty and lefty long men out of the pen. 

C. Zac Lowther, Alex Wells, Dean Kremer in the Norfolk rotation or at least piggyback starters down there as there’s a lot of arms that will need innings in AAA. 

In 4 of his last 5 starts, Lowther had a 2.33 ERA.  

In his other start, along with the one earlier in the year, he had an ERA of 36.00.

He pitched in less than 70 total Innings this year.  He didn’t start to get into some kind of a regular rhythm until June and then he got hurt.

September was really the only month he had a normal schedule.  That’s a shame and really emphasizes how they screwed him up this year imo.

I think that’s the worst thing for these guys..nothing got established for some of them.  

Zimmerman was looking good but then got hurt and missed most of the year.

Akin didn’t have a role for the first 5 weeks of the season and then pitched sparingly until June.  He did pitch poorly for a while, although the FIP was far better than the ERA.  He has pitched much better the last 6-8 weeks.

Kremer is done as a starter imo.  I mean, I know you can never say never but it’s not even like he was encouraging in AAA.  Move him to the pen now and see what he can do.  His stuff definitely could play up out there.  

Not sure we have much in Wells.  He certainly can get a chance if needs be but I don’t like his chances.