Severino or Mancini - More Trade Value?

sportsfan8703

• sportsfan8703 changed the title to Severino or Mancini - More Trade Value?

I don’t think anyone will see Mancini’s fade down the stretch and be bothered by it.

In other words, whatever his market was a month ago, I don’t think it’s changed.  

The debate is what was his market and can the Orioles find a suitor for him?  A lot of teams struggled to get offense from DH and/or first base this year.  

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I'm a team interested in either I wait for them to be non-tendered.  If I lose out on them because of, I go with plan B and don't lose sleep over it.

I'm not at all sure either of them are going to provide excess value if they go through the arbitration process.

Do you really think the O's would stoop that low and non tender Mancini? I don't think he will get that much of a raise next year. 

Just now, Orioles0615 said:

Do you really think the O's would stoop that low and non tender Mancini? I don't think he will get that much of a raise next year. 

Non-tendering him last offseason would be low.  He's back healthy and proven he still has the skill to play MLB.  At this point the question is do you want to pay him his arbitration price when you have Mountcastle on the team?  The O's have a limited budget, is Mancini the best way to spend a chunk of it?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Non-tendering him last offseason would be low.  He's back healthy and proven he still has the skill to play MLB.  At this point the question is do you want to pay him his arbitration price when you have Mountcastle on the team?  The O's have a limited budget, is Mancini the best way to spend a chunk of it?

Thinking like that no, id rather spend it on pitching. However I think the limited budget whatever they have is from being cheap and they should man up and at least tender him a contract, whether they end up trading him or not. 

I don't imagine either have much value on the market.

I'd like to see the Orioles retain Mancini. I think his late season slide is perfectly understandable given he spent last season fighting cancer. Everyone tires at the end of a long season, but that has to be especially true for Mancini. I think we see him a bit better next year down the stretch and able to maintain his strength a bit more. I think he is a .790-.820 OPS bat next year. Is that great at 1B/DH? No. But I think its certainly serviceable. He was a .899 OPS (134 OPS+) hitter in 2019. I don't think he ever gets back there, but I do think he's better next year and a solid option to be the veteran presence in what I otherwise hope to be a young team.

As for Severino, if you can get a lottery ticket for him, I think you take it. Rutschman is going to take on the everyday role by May and I think a catch-and-throw back-up makes more sense than a bat first catcher that has a 88 OPS+. 

My affinity for Mancini is probably more emotion driven than logic driven, but I think he's developed into a nice leader and a player that is probably more valuable than his stat line. I also don't think his season lends him to a massive raise in arbitration. He doesn't prevent the team from going out and adding players (the "plan" probably does that). 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Who would offer anything for Severino?

I think he is non tendered.  As he should have been last year.

While I know that many on the OH think Severino is worthless, I don't think the rest of baseball feels that way.   He had problems blocking ball but he seems to have gotten better in the 2nd half.  He is tough.  Plays through injuries.  He hits lefties fairly well.   I think he has value as part of the platoon or as a backup catcher. More value than some backup catchers.

His value is in the 2-3m range IMO.   The O's may negotiate a contract with him before the non tender date.

Many here don't agree but many here don't even watch the games.

• Upvote 2

I think Mancini will be tendered with the hope of being traded. Whether in the off-season or by trade deadline. If he can't be flipped, then thanks for the memories, finish the season and move on. 

Pedro probably needs to be non tendered or signed to a cheaper contract.

Adley and Wynns to start season is fine in my opinion. But if Elias wants to hold adley back in AAA, then sevy probably gets brought back.