MLBTR arbitration projections

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He did play Trey at 1B in less than half the games.   Honestly I don’t think it’s that strenuous to take 4 PA a night and sit on the bench when you’re not at bat or on base.   

I don’t disagree with that, but then why did he say that Mancini was getting tired, if that did not affect his play? And if it did not affect his play, then why does it matter, and if it did affect his play, then it didn’t matter whether he was playing designated hitter or at first base.

7 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t disagree with that, but then why did he say that Mancini was getting tired, if that did not affect his play? And if it did not affect his play, then why does it matter, and if it did affect his play, then it didn’t matter whether he was playing designated hitter or at first base.

When did he say Mancini was getting tired?

26 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Replacement level players are, by definition, replaceable. The difference here comparing Mountcastle and Mancini is salary. 

If RM is at 1B going into the season there are a myriad of players to DH. And that’s no exaggeration.

But the O's have Mancini for 7-8m next year.  What will it cost to get an equally good DH/1B in dollars and/or players?

26 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Replacement level players are, by definition, replaceable. The difference here comparing Mountcastle and Mancini is salary. 

If RM is at 1B going into the season there are a myriad of players to DH. And that’s no exaggeration.

1.8 WAR is not replacement level. Also it is likely, even highly likely that returning to a normal routine after a year of chemotherapy and non-baseball non-activity, will result in a more productive season. I certainly take your larger point, but it remains true that ATM No one on the farm is ready to replace him.
We’re actually on the verge of getting rid of Stewart Because he’s terrible, so it is doubly unlikely that anybody at Norfolk is going to hop on the bus and give us a higher WAR then we get from Trey, Because if they could, they would already have supplanted Stewart.

By the way, I just took a look at rosters at Norfolk and Bowie, and didn’t see a single named that screamed to me, “I can replace Trey.”

The infielders who are closest are at short, second, and catcher, and maybe third base. But I’m not holding my breath on any of them setting the world on fire either.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

You should have a talk to Brandon Hyde because he certainly thinks Trey was impacted by illness.

https://www.audacy.com/1057thefan/authors/big-bad-morning-show

FF to 10:15.

@Frobby“Impacted by illness” So I slightly stand corrected however the overall point stands: if the guy is impacted by illness, why is the manager playing him, and if he’s not impacted by illness then why does the manager say he is, and Either way, illness is the same whether he’s playing first or designated hittering.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

1.8 WAR is not replacement level. Also it is likely, even highly likely that returning to a normal routine after a year of chemotherapy and non-baseball non-activity, will result in a more productive season. I certainly take your larger point, but it remains true that ATM No one on the farm is ready to replace him.
We’re actually on the verge of getting rid of Stewart Because he’s terrible, so it is doubly unlikely that anybody at Norfolk is going to hop on the bus and give us a higher WAR then we get from Trey, Because if they could, they would already have supplanted Stewart.

Eh, where are you seeing 1.8 WAR? You didn’t specify.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:37 PM, ChrisP said:
  • Trey Mancini – $7.9MM (Yes)
  • Pedro Severino – $3.1MM (No)
  • Pat Valaika – $1.3MM (No)
  • Anthony Santander – $3.7MM (Yes)
  • Jorge Lopez – $1.5MM (Yes, as a RP)
  • Paul Fry – $1.1MM (?, probably)
  • Tanner Scott – $1.0MM (?, Not sure here either)
  • John Means – $3.1MM (Yes)

I see no reason to give Fry a contract. He dropped so drastically off a cliff, that’s something serious must be wrong. He was so incredibly awful in his last three or four outings, I think I could’ve pitched better.

No on Severino. Arizona will certainly pick him up for free, but Nobody will trade anything for him except cash considerations or equivalent.

I don’t like Scott at all, he goes into a game with a dagger in his hand and flip a coin and 3 out of four flips he stabs you in the heart.  But if we can get him under 1 million, sure, he’s not the worst guy in the pen… Not yet, anyway.

Lol at Valaika. That projection must’ve been written by his mother.

I’m not sure Santander is worth the money, but 1 million bucks isn’t what it used to be, so sure, why not.

Trey Mancini

Positions: Outfielder and First Baseman

Bats: Right  •  Throws: Right

6-3230lb (190cm, 104kg) 

Team: Baltimore Orioles (majors)

More bio, uniform, draft, salary info
67 16
SUMMARY

Career

WAR

AB

H

HR

BA

This didn’t come out very well, but his 2021 rWAR was 0.8, not 1.8.