We Won Some Awards

Bahama O's Fan

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

This is an award from the MLBPA.

It's voted on by his peers.

As opposed to ROY, which is voted on by writers and the more prestigious award.

Still, to win something like this is a feather in Mountcastle's cap and, honestly, might even raise him a notch in my eyes.

3 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

So we should trade Trey, and I guess Ryan too, since their value is peaking, and get some prospects who will debut and be under  team control for exactly the same time as Adley and GRod. Right? :rolleyes:

Trey's value peaked years ago.

I don't think an award voted on by players does anything to move Mountcastle's value.  It's cool and all but I'm betting a lot of players didn't even know Randy Arozarena was still rookie eligible.

54 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

As opposed to ROY, which is voted on by writers and the more prestigious award.

Still, to win something like this is a feather in Mountcastle's cap and, honestly, might even raise him a notch in my eyes.

Interesting - I think I'd rather get an award voted on by my peers rather than by sportscasters.  

Then again, what do sportscasters know about taxes?  :)

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Trey's value peaked years ago.

I don't think an award voted on by players does anything to move Mountcastle's value.  It's cool and all but I'm betting a lot of players didn't even know Randy Arozarena was still rookie eligible.

I was being facetious, playing off the idea that any established major leaguer who isn't likely to be around for six or seven more years should be swapped out for younger players when his trade value is high. That may be an overstatement/mischaracterization, but it sure seems to be the view of many who post here, and it may be the strategy of Mike Elias. We'll have to see how he tries to build a winning major league team other than by promoting minor-league talent.

Something like that may work for pitchers, if you can develop valuable starters and then have some magic dust to sprinkle on their replacements, like the Rays have been doing. But I don't think that's the right way to treat useful position players when you're trying to put together a winning ballclub. Trades and signings ought to be made to acquire players who are better than the guys they'll replace, not just younger and with less ML experience. 

I'm not familiar with these players' association awards, and I wonder whether the voting players got a list of eligible rookies (and whether eligibility differs from ROY eligibility), since I don't expect Mountcastle to come anywhere close to winning that one.

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nice statement regarding Mancini, not sure how that has anything whatsoever to do with his ability or desire to be a hitting coach.

Mancini has made past statements about how much Trumbo helped him when he was a younger player.   He probably has some of the attributes one would like to see in a hitting coach.   Whether he has the analytic knowledge the O’s covet, I don’t know.    And moreover, does a guy who made almost $60 mm playing baseball really have any desire to live the life of a coach for the relatively minimal pay coaches receive?

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Mancini has made past statements about how much Trumbo helped him when he was a younger player.   He probably has some of the attributes one would like to see in a hitting coach.   Whether he has the analytic knowledge the O’s covet, I don’t know.    And moreover, does a guy who made almost $60 mm playing baseball really have any desire to live the life of a coach for the relatively minimal pay coaches receive?

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mark-trumbo-talks-hitting/

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mark-trumbo-on-home-runs-and-not-drawing-walks/