Who is the Orioles 2021 #6 prospect?

Tony-OH

Who is the Orioles 2021 #6 prospect?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Orioles 2021 #6 prospect?

• Samuel Basallo - C
    • Kyle Bradish - RHP
    • Gunnar Henderson - SS/3B
    • Heston Kjerstad - OF
    • Jordan Westburg - SS/3B

This poll is closed to new votes

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think #7 is where the conversation gets very interesting, assuming Gunnar is 6(which certainly would throw stuff off).

I want to comp Stowers vs Basallo for a moment.  We will see what Stowers can become but he appears to be a better prospect than I have given him credit for.

BUT, when the question is asked, who would you rather have in the organization, I think this becomes a trickier conversation. 

If I’m using that as a criteria, I’m taking Basallo and his upside over Stowers.  

But who do You take Stowers vs Westburg?  And then where does Kjerstad fall in this?  I think Kjerstad would be contending for our #3 prospect if he had been healthy.  

I don’t think any other pitcher appears in our top 10 and I think Pinto is the only one should be in the conversation. 

So, you have Westburg, Kjerstad, Stowers and Basallo potentially rounding out the top 10.  

But in what order?  It’s a really interesting conversation imo.

MLB.com has Kjerstad at #7 but some posters here have him altogether out of the Top 30! Basallo and Hernandez are still basically complete unknowns so I have a hard time putting them in the top 10 until they have some professional success.

Norby, Vavra, Rom, and Pinto could also be in the conversation for Top 10. 

29 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think #7 is where the conversation gets very interesting, assuming Gunnar is 6(which certainly would throw stuff off).

I want to comp Stowers vs Basallo for a moment.  We will see what Stowers can become but he appears to be a better prospect than I have given him credit for.

BUT, when the question is asked, who would you rather have in the organization, I think this becomes a trickier conversation. 

If I’m using that as a criteria, I’m taking Basallo and his upside over Stowers.  

But who do You take Stowers vs Westburg?  And then where does Kjerstad fall in this?  I think Kjerstad would be contending for our #3 prospect if he had been healthy.  

I don’t think any other pitcher appears in our top 10 and I think Pinto is the only one should be in the conversation. 

So, you have Westburg, Kjerstad, Stowers and Basallo potentially rounding out the top 10.  

But in what order?  It’s a really interesting conversation imo.

I just don't know enough about guys like Basallo to make a comparison. Being so far away, I'd wager his range of outcomes is much broader than Stowers'. So it becomes a probability versus ceiling conversation, though I think Stowers' ceiling is quite high too.

I also love Westburg. His numbers are exceptional after adjusting to a league. I don't think they get talked about enough.

And Kjerstad's range of outcomes is wider than pretty much anyone on the list. For a guy like him, nothing at all matters re: anyone's placement on any list until we get real information about his health and physical recovery. Until then, he almost belongs in an entirely different conversation.

This is such a good list, to be honest. You didn't even mention Norby. I'd understand putting him at 8 or 9 for sure, but he's more likely to be below all of Westburg, Stowers and Kjerstad is my guess. Maybe Pinto. Maybe Basallo. Heck, maybe even Vavra based on some historical rankings. Still, as I type this, Tony reacted to a post I made about Norby yesterday. I've very bullish. Will go see what he said.

[Edit: Tony's comment was actually about Ortiz, who I also loved this year before injury. This is the best list of prospects I can remember and it's not even close. The Wieters, Arrieta, Hernandez, Matusz list (I think they were all on the same one) was really good, but had very little depth. Much more here.]

• Upvote 1

I think the problem with putting Basallo in the top 10 is - even if he does become a good MLB player - how long does that take - considering he's a 17 year old catcher in the DR?  It's not just that he's got to learn so much; he also has to stay healthy at a position that takes a lot of wear and tear.  Otoh, good catchers are particularly valuable.  

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I think the problem with putting Basallo in the top 10 is - even if he does become a good MLB player - how long does that take - considering he's a 17 year old catcher in the DR?  It's not just that he's got to learn so much; he also has to stay healthy at a position that takes a lot of wear and tear.  Otoh, good catchers are particularly valuable.  

Yeah. That's true. Plus, are we looking at a ML average type of player or are we looking at a phenom who will rocket through the system. I think there would have to be indications that he's really good already (like projects as top 10 in the league, early) for me to put him above some guys who are closer and have more of a track record.

54 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

MLB.com has Kjerstad at #7 but some posters here have him altogether out of the Top 30! Basallo and Hernandez are still basically complete unknowns so I have a hard time putting them in the top 10 until they have some professional success.

Norby, Vavra, Rom, and Pinto could also be in the conversation for Top 10. 

Norby yes..I forgot about him.

Vavra and Rom aren’t in the top 10 conversation.

Basallo just turned 17…748 OPS and good walk rate in his 41 games this year. 

Obviously his range of outcomes is tremendous but I think you have to really like the upside right now.

I believe Tony had him as high as 13 on his power rankings.  I think he’s in the conversation for top 10 but do agree that Norby should also be mentioned.  I knew I was forgetting someone in my earlier post.

Also, I don’t think Tony has ever had to weigh a guy like Basallo in his rankings before, at least not this high.

This is kind of uncharted territory since the Os were never in the intl game before.

You routinely see a lot of those guys listed high in their organizational rankings pretty early on.  It just hasn’t happened here, so people are more in “shock” over the thought of it.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Also, I don’t think Tony has ever had to weigh a guy like Basallo in his rankings before, at least not this high.

This is kind of uncharted territory since the Os were never in the intl game before.

You routinely see a lot of those guys listed high in their organizational rankings pretty early on.  It just hasn’t happened here, so people are more in “shock” over the thought of it.

I'm very hopeful that this time next year we'll have a few international guys sprinkled toward the top of our rankings. Not sure where, of course, but they're starting to move up into the system where there are more eyes, better competition, and a better sense of what they are.

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Norby yes..I forgot about him.

Vavra and Rom aren’t in the top 10 conversation.

Vavra was 11 in the latest Power Rankings, behind Baumann. I don't see anyone after him who did anything to move up. Of course, Kjerstad needs to go somewhere. Agreed, Rom is probably outside the top 10 but I'd have a hard time trading him for Basallo or any of the recent draft picks without more to go on. 

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Vavra was 11 in the latest Power Rankings, behind Baumann. I don't see anyone after him who did anything to move up. Of course, Kjerstad needs to go somewhere. Agreed, Rom is probably outside the top 10 but I'd have a hard time trading him for Basallo or any of the recent draft picks without more to go on. 

I like Vavra..but he’s not someone you take over the guys i mentioned.

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I'm on a hot streak this year.   I went with Westburg over Henderson.   Similar upside but the floor is just higher with Westburg.

It's the age though. That's the difference. Henderson's essentially 2 years ahead of Westburg, even if he wasn't as good this year.

• Upvote 1