2021 Orioles #7 Prospect - Kyle Stowers - RF

Tony-OH

That’s a pretty positive take on Stowers.    Can’t really disagree with anything you said.   I think his future as a major leaguer boils down to whether he can keep his K rate down to a reasonable level once he’s facing major league pitching.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a pretty positive take on Stowers.    Can’t really disagree with anything you said.   I think his future as a major leaguer boils down to whether he can keep his K rate down to a reasonable level once he’s facing major league pitching.    

Seemed to be more positive than guys that were ranked higher on this list.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Seemed to be more positive than guys that were ranked higher on this list.

I'll be honest, I had considered him higher but dropped him below a few others due to age and his K rate. Henderson is only 20 years old so although he has more things to correct, that has to be taken into consideration and gives him a higher ceiling which is why I ended up going with Henderson over Stowers. 

Joc Pederson might be a good comp for Stowers but Stowers is a little more athletic and moves better.

• Upvote 3

Seven picks into the list and every prospect's most likely eventual level is at least an everyday player or regular rotation starter/high leverage reliever with ceilings ranging from occasional to perennial All Star. That's how I would describe Mullins, Means, and Mountcastle.  Expect the ratings for Westburg and Kjerstad to be close to that level.   That could be a solid starting team and three fifths of a rotation. Looking forward to seeing how it unfolds.

• Upvote 1

Joey Gallo is an interesting comp for Stowers.  34.5% K rate in the minors, 36.9% in the majors.    His MiL slash line was .254/.370/.589;  in the majors it’s .206/.333/.489.   One big difference is that Gallo’s numbers degraded significantly as he moved up the MiL ladder: .323/.463/.735 in A+, .259/.365/.561 in AA, .224/.340/.501 in AAA.   Stowers, on the other hand, hit .275/.404/.496 at A+, .283/.377/.571 at AA, .272/.366/.407 in AAA.   So, I think there’s hope for Stowers to put up a line something like .240/.330/.450 as a major leaguer, even with the high K rate.   

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Tony, I’m curious about something.  

You talk about how it can come down to who would you rather have in the organization.

Does this mean you would rather have Stowers vs Kjerstad or is it simply the unknown of Kjerstad causing you to hold him back?

Would you rather have $10,000 or whatever is behind door no. 3?   Could be a new car, could be a coffee maker.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Would you rather have $10,000 or whatever is behind door no. 3?   Could be a new car, could be a coffee maker.   

Well, Kjerstad isn’t a blind choice.  You have seen him play.  You have evaluated him.

You don’t know how he will do at higher levels but it’s not like you have no idea what he is either.

I tend to doubt the myocarditis has zapped his abilities although who knows where he is mentally.

I think a better question is, do you want 10k in cash or 5k in a high risk/high upside crypto or stock.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, Kjerstad isn’t a blind choice.  You have seen him play.  You have evaluated him.

You don’t know how he will do at higher levels but it’s not like you have no idea what he is either.

I tend to doubt the myocarditis has zapped his abilities although who knows where he is mentally.

I think a better question is, do you want 10k in cash or 5k in a high risk/high upside crypto or stock.

I think the question of how the myocarditis has affected him is huge.   And Tony hasn’t had the chance to watch him take one professional at bat.   So, the Orioles obviously have a much better idea of where Kjerstad stands now than Tony does, and I doubt they’re sharing much info.

I'm not sure what will be more impactful, Tony's glowing write-up or Stowers on the field.  ?

In all seriousness, highest exit velocity "by a lot", "could very well be underrated on this prospect list", his power potential in Camden Yards could be "enormous" and he has "superstar potential." I love it all and hope Tony's on the mark here. I have no reason to doubt him.

The one surprise was the "solid-average" arm. I thought he had the best OF arm in the org, so that was a bit of a letdown.

Also, nobody has mentioned this dude's blonde locks. He looks like he walked off the set of Pointe Break and into a baseball uniform. The ladies will love him.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I had considered him higher but dropped him below a few others due to age and his K rate. Henderson is only 20 years old so although he has more things to correct, that has to be taken into consideration and gives him a higher ceiling which is why I ended up going with Henderson over Stowers. 

Joc Pederson might be a good comp for Stowers but Stowers is a little more athletic and moves better.

Nice. I just mentioned Joc Pederson as a comp in the other thread. 

Stowers blew up this year. I like the take on him making adjustments mid game. 

• Upvote 1