The Mullins market

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

People have tried to quantify it and they haven't had much luck from what I've read. 

I'm open to any research to the contrary.

I think that there are real things that can’t be quantified.  One is a manager’s contribution to wins.  Another is a players leadership.  Frank Robinson added more than hits to the ‘66 Orioles, but I can’t put a number on it.

I’m not saying that having a better team around someone can help help any individual be a better player.  But I know one player made that team better and not just through his own play on the field.

Just saying there are something’s you can’t assign a numerical value to.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

How does the Mullins' data prior to last year mean anything anymore.   He broke out/developed.

I’m talking about the data from the 2021 season. It shows he was better on non-fastballs than fastballs, though he was pretty good on everything.   But, it doesn’t seem that getting more fastballs would put him at an advantage.  

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think that there are real things that can’t be quantified.  One is a manager’s contribution to wins.  Another is a players leadership.  Frank Robinson added more than hits to the ‘66 Orioles, but I can’t put a number on it.

I’m not saying that having a better team around someone can help help any individual be a better player.  But I know one player made that team better and not just through his own play on the field.

Just saying there are something’s you can’t assign a numerical value to.

I think that the vast majority of real things can be quantified.

I would certainly put lineup protection in that group.

• Haha 1

Another tidbit from Fangraphs Longenhagen's omnibus 40-man piece, presumably stuff he heard leading up to 6pm last Friday.   This could easily be Buxton or Laureano more than Mullins.

The Miami Marlins stood pat in terms of additions/subtractions, but working the phones on deadline day revealed they’re in the market for catchers and center fielders via trade, and potentially before any sort of work stoppage.

21 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Another tidbit from Fangraphs Longenhagen's omnibus 40-man piece, presumably stuff he heard leading up to 6pm last Friday.   This could easily be Buxton or Laureano more than Mullins.

The Miami Marlins stood pat in terms of additions/subtractions, but working the phones on deadline day revealed they’re in the market for catchers and center fielders via trade, and potentially before any sort of work stoppage.

Agreed, those two make more sense than Mullins as they should come at lower cost in prospects.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Getting back to the Marlins and what they'd give up for Mullins...

Who says no?  Mullins for Pablo Lopez and either Max Meyer or Edward Cabrera.  What would the O's have to add to get Miami to include Eury Perez?      

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/evaluating-the-marlins-rotation-trade-options.html

Pablo López — López has been quietly excellent over the past two seasons. He’s got a 3.26 ERA across 160 innings since the start of 2020, including a 3.07 mark this past season. There’s not much to nitpick in his statistical profile. The 25-year-old uses a five-pitch mix. He’s got plus control, misses a few more bats than average and — thanks mostly to one of the sport’s best changeups — rarely gives up hard contact. With three years of control and a modest $2.5MM projected arbitration salary, López would have a ton of trade value if he’d gotten through the 2021 campaign fully healthy.

Yet the situation’s complicated by a shoulder injury that cost him essentially the entire second half. López landed on the IL in mid-July and didn’t return until the final day of the season, when he worked just 1 2/3 innings in a deliberately abbreviated start. His velocity returned to peak levels and it’s possible López’s shoulder problem proves nothing more than a blip, but any team looking into an acquisition this offseason will surely do their due diligence on a medical evaluation.

Shoulder issues worry me but I have been on the Lopez and Meyer bandwagon for a while and I would do that deal on a heartbeat. To be honest, I may do the deal for just Meyer.  He’s the only starter I would have taken had they taken a pitcher that draft.  I loved his profile.  He should be able to be up and contributing soon.

Maybe because of his shoulder, we can get an extra player…maybe a recent international signing or some lottery ticket like that.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Getting back to the Marlins and what they'd give up for Mullins...

Who says no?  Mullins for Pablo Lopez and either Max Meyer or Edward Cabrera.  What would the O's have to add to get Miami to include Eury Perez?      

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/12/evaluating-the-marlins-rotation-trade-options.html

I think we have to add one of the second tier pitching prospects, possibly even for the base trade, ie. not involving Perez.  A Bradish, Baumann, Lowther level pitcher.

15 hours ago, NCRaven said:

I think we have to add one of the second tier pitching prospects, possibly even for the base trade, ie. not involving Perez.  A Bradish, Baumann, Lowther level pitcher.

Say we add all 3 of them to the trade;  would that be a good offer for Meyer, Lopez and Perez?