Orioles signing Rougned Odor

Yardball85

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I'm not sure we have a viable third baseman (defensively or offensively) on the roster. 

This quote makes me think we see more of Urias at third and Odor at second.  You can't second guess yourself at the hot corner.  

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

This quote makes me think we see more of Urias at third and Odor at second.  You can't second guess yourself at the hot corner.  

This would be my preferred defensive arrangement to be honest 

I don’t think the orioles have a major league short stop on the roster 

If he wants to make this team, he had better get comfortable playing some 3B. If Urias shows he can play everyday, which is certainly not a guarantee, Roogie is going to be a UT guy for us, playing 2B and 3B. Either way, he is a placeholder for 2022, at best. 

If Gutierrez and Odor are good enough at their spots to stomach SS Urias, I think I think I like that best and feel Mateo is the weak link.

Fangraphs wOBA forecasts Urias .316, Odor .303, Gutierrez .289, Mateo .283

Gutierrez flashed enough leather and exit velocity I am more interested in his audition than Mateo's, and the M&M boys have 1B/DH on lock.

I expect Urias would be Gleyber-plus unplayable day in day out, but hey who cares?   C'mon Correa 1-year deal!

12 minutes ago, oriole said:

If I had to guess the OD IF defense looks like Gutierrez at 3B, Urias at SS, and Odor at 2B. Mateo utility and pinch runner. 

That would be disappointing since the whole thing about Mateo was he wasn't able to get playing time in San Diego. Then he got playing time with the O's and did well. I certainly would not start Odor over him anywhere in the infield. 

It is just a function of how the Padres used him vs. how the Orioles did, but I was surprised to learn recently Mateo's most games played last year was in the outfield.    I'll be curious to see if he's deployed as an extra outfielder sometimes at Stewart or McKenna's expense.

Lots of teams have that 2B/OF flex reserve I think Jones and/or Vavra are perhaps being groomed for, but until stumbling on that trivia, I'd seen Mateo more in the "pure shortstop" tryout mode.

27 minutes ago, interloper said:

That would be disappointing since the whole thing about Mateo was he wasn't able to get playing time in San Diego. Then he got playing time with the O's and did well. I certainly would not start Odor over him anywhere in the infield. 

I would bet Mateo gets a lot of outfield work too. He could even be our next starting CF if/when Mullins is traded. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

It is just a function of how the Padres used him vs. how the Orioles did, but I was surprised to learn recently Mateo's most games played last year was in the outfield.    I'll be curious to see if he's deployed as an extra outfielder sometimes at Stewart or McKenna's expense.

Lots of teams have that 2B/OF flex reserve I think Jones and/or Vavra are perhaps being groomed for, but until stumbling on that trivia, I'd seen Mateo more in the "pure shortstop" tryout mode.

Adam Hall is getting a lot of outfield work in minor league camp as well, which I think is smart.