More DSL MiL signings for the Os

interloper

48 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Doesn’t board etiquette say you should post this in the proper section of the site?

Hey SG, shouldn't you at least call him "dumb" or "stupid" two or three times when complaining about board etiquette?  ?

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Caballero, 21?  Cuevas, 19?  Far, far too old.  

Sure, but just like you have kids that were never drafted out of HS and become prospects in college, there could be kids who fall through the cracks or develop later than others.   I'm pretty sure we can find examples of Latin players who didn't sign until 19 or even 21 and became prospects and ML players.   

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Caballero, 21?  Cuevas, 19?  Far, far too old.  

I think these signings must be from the leftover money for the Jan. 15 2021 signing period.  Back when the signing period used to run from July 2, the previous period ended a few weeks before and then there was a short “quiet period.”   So this is the O’s spending the dregs of this year’s allotment.   These players are leftovers.   The more talented players will be signed and announced on Jan. 15.

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think these signings must be from the leftover money for the Jan. 15 2021 signing period.  Back when the signing period used to run from July 2, the previous period ended a few weeks before and then there was a short “quiet period.”   So this is the O’s spending the dregs of this year’s allotment.   These players are leftovers.   The more talented players will be signed and announced on Jan. 15.

I kid, I kid.  Yes, scoop up all the lottery tickets.  They can't be all fancy $25 scratchoffs, we need some dollar scratch offs, too.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Obando said:

When it comes to pitchers, and especially pitchers from the international market, it’s in many ways more beneficial to sign them when they’re a little older because you have a better idea of how their bodies will mature and skills develop, as opposed to when they’re 16.  The Astros struck gold with multiple pitchers by going this route, as they signed guys like Framber Valdez, Jose Urquidy, Christian Javier & Enoli Paredes as older International pitching prospects (I think all were at least 18 when signed), and all made it to the major leagues and have been significant contributors to their success over the past couple years.  I’m sure Mike Elias is following the same plan here in Baltimore after seeing how relatively successful that strategy was in Houston.

Interesting info.  Thanks. 

41 minutes ago, Obando said:

When it comes to pitchers, and especially pitchers from the international market, it’s in many ways more beneficial to sign them when they’re a little older because you have a better idea of how their bodies will mature and skills develop, as opposed to when they’re 16.  The Astros struck gold with multiple pitchers by going this route, as they signed guys like Framber Valdez, Jose Urquidy, Christian Javier & Enoli Paredes as older International pitching prospects (I think all were at least 18 when signed), and all made it to the major leagues and have been significant contributors to their success over the past couple years.  I’m sure Mike Elias is following the same plan here in Baltimore after seeing how relatively successful that strategy was in Houston.

You should post more often.  Good info, for sure.