What if Greinke fell to the O's?

wildcard

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

Just his knowledge and approach to teach young pitchers how to pitch would be worth a 2-year contract.  The O's need a veteran pitcher to teach the young guys coming in how to pitch and how to prepare to pitch.  A guy like Greinke would be very valuable in preparing a solid staff going forward.  I would be very much in favor of it.  

Greinke can teach O's pitchers the Eephus pitch.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can see why people would want him here, I don't disagree.  But I'm betting he'd be more inclined to join a team that can get him a ring rather than babysit kids on a last place team.  A WS title is really the only thing he's missing from his career resume.  

I bet he'd take less to go somewhere else with a chance to win than come to a team like this one. 

Well, he did leave the Dodgers for the Diamondbacks just to pick up a bit more cash.   But you are probably right.   

55 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Greinke can teach O's pitchers the Eephus pitch.

Greinke seems like a bit of goof that doesn't take himself too seriously.  Some of his antics crack me up.  For selfish reasons, I would like to see him in Baltimore so I could watch him more often.  That time he was frustrated with his catcher and not being able to get the signs correctly and he just shouted out to the catcher what he was pitching was awesome.  

On 12/13/2021 at 8:27 PM, wildcard said:

He's  a 38 year old control pitcher.   What if the O's offered 1/15m with a club 15m option for 2023 and that was the best offer he got.    Is that a good deal for the O's?   Could a rotation of Means, Greinke, Grayson, Lyles and whoever be a game changer for the O's?  Would Greinke be the O's Charlie Morton?

Just something to think about.

Don’t think about it.

21 hours ago, Frobby said:

Well, he did leave the Dodgers for the Diamondbacks just to pick up a bit more cash.   But you are probably right.   

If the O's make an extravagant offer soon and he turns it down, he will forever be remembered in Oriole fandom as the Greinke that stole Christmas.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes....

He's been a shut down closer over there for years.

He's actually been injured the last couple of seasons but he's #5 on the all time save list.

I wonder if the Japanese announcers can pronounce his name better than Gary Thorne could.  

• Haha 2

On 12/15/2021 at 6:16 PM, Frobby said:

I wonder if the Japanese announcers can pronounce his name better than Gary Thorne could.  

Just for fun, I looked it up. Going by this Japanese blurb on him, the pronunciation would be /Safuate/, with the "fua" sounding almost like "fwa." It goes on to note, however, that several different pronunciations have been used. I've translated the blurb at the bottom:

デニス・サファテ(Dennis Scott Sarfate , 1981年4月9日 - )は、広島東洋カープに所属するアメリカ合衆国ニューヨーク州出身のプロ野球選手(投手)。広島での登録名は「サファテ」だが、一部報道では「サファーテ」「サルファテ」「サーフェイト」と表記されていた 。

Denisu Safuate (Dennis Scott Sarfate, April 9, 1981--): Professional baseball player (pitcher) born in the State of NY, USA who is with the Hiroshima Asian Carp. His registered Hiroshima name is "Safuate," but in various other reports, "Safuaate," "Sarufuate," and "Saafueito" have been recorded.

Note: I have used "aa" to indicate what in the Japanese is an elongated /ah/-sound [ァー].

In Japanese, Thorne's embarrassing pronunciation would most likely be spelled with a "u" inserted between the "r" and last syllable (Japanese pretty strictly alternates consonants and vowels), and thus sound more like /Safuarute/.

An entirely different problem, however, is introduced by the Japanese rendition of Sarfate's first name; "Dennis" and "Denise" are both spelled the same way: "デニス." 

• Upvote 2