O’s are holding a mini-camp for new MiL pitchers this week

Frobby

On 1/12/2022 at 12:15 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Board is from Old English, by way of Old High German.  The suffix ard, as used in these examples, is from Old French.

But it became pejorative, e.g. "coward," 'b*stard," only once it passed on from French, where it was merely an intensifier, into German and Dutch:

-ard 

also -art, from Old French -ard, -art, from German -hard, -hart "hardy," forming the second element in many personal names, often used as an intensifier, but in Middle High German and Dutch used as a pejorative element in common nouns, and thus passing into Middle English in bastard, coward, blaffard ("one who stammers"), etc. It thus became a living element in English, as in buzzard, drunkard. The German element is from Proto-Germanic *-hart/*-hard "bold, hardy," from PIE root *kar- "hard."

On 1/12/2022 at 1:20 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Do you know that Magma invented their own language (Kobaïan)?

Kobaïan's hollers and screeches remind me of the incredible performance by Denis Lavant of an even more dizzying language that also includes slapping oneself on the face and various hook-fingered, single-eyed gestures in the three-part omnibus film Tokyo! (2008--streamable on Amzn). Lavant's character is the protagonist of the second part, titled Merde and directed by Leos Carax. It was so startling and brilliant that it got Carax the funding for the cult feature film Holy Motors, a section of which reprises in a different setting Lavant's linguistic-psychosexual terrorism, but, I think, much less effectively (my opinion is that staging him in Tokyo was more important than Carax realized). Tokyo! (the other two parts directed by Michel Gondry--dir. of many great music vids and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind--and Bong Joon Ho of Parasite and The Host fame) make up a very surreal, eccentric take on Japanese urban life. But I find it so much more accurate in spirit than any of the more well-known recent films set in Japan.

Way off topic, I know--my apologies. But the connection to Kobaïan suddenly seemed very strong. And unbearable if left unsaid.