Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

I guess signing into the new site asks who your favorite current and all time oriole is. Security isn’t that tight since they accepted Chris Davis and Bob Melvin 🤷🏻‍♂️

@DrungoHazewoodand I have discussed moving the wall back before. It is a good move and like he said earlier in the thread, 50 feet would be more in line. This team is better playing in a stadium like SF than the way it has been.  I think it will be more fun to watch and a lazy fly ball in July, hopefully will be a lazy fly ball in July. 

• Upvote 1

We should have a young, athletic, OF for years to come to cover all the new ground. Hays and Mullins are established and RF will be supplemented with Stowers and Cowser in the future. I don’t see Santander in RF past this season, with Mancini facing FA. A guy like McKenna becomes more valuable as a defensive sub. We could go OF with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft especially if it’s Andruw Jones’ son for CF. Lots of new ground to cover. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We should have a young, athletic, OF for years to come to cover all the new ground. Hays and Mullins are established and RF will be supplemented with Stowers and Cowser in the future. I don’t see Santander in RF past this season, with Mancini facing FA. A guy like McKenna becomes more valuable as a defensive sub. We could go OF with the #1 pick in the upcoming draft especially if it’s Andruw Jones’ son for CF. Lots of new ground to cover. 

I have read that Stowers speed is average.   Druw Jones might be Elias' SS.

10 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I hate this. Camden yards is a band box, but the most HR’s go to RF.  So their solution is to move LF out more? This is stupid and they should just leave the ballpark as it is.

Your premise is completely untrue.   The last three years, the HR factor for RHB at OPACY is 131; for LHB it’s 120.   And, there are a lot more RHB than LHB; RHB take about 60% of all at bats.   So, it’s easier to hit HR to LF than to RF, and there are more RHB than LHB, so far more homers go to LF than RF.

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

What does “successful” mean to you?   To me, it means a guy who can outpitch the other pitcher in the stadium in which they’re pitching.   If that requires a 4.75 ERA in Baltimore and 3.75 in Tampa, that’s fine.  I don’t consider a pitcher with a 4.20 ERA in Tampa to be a better pitcher than a guy with a 4.60 in Baltimore.

Successful, to me, means the staff can stay in the game something like a league average of innings or better.

You're right about the dimensions helping all pitchers, regardless of team. No argument there. In theory I'm guessing dimensions affect some profiles more than others, but if it allows the guys we can actually get on our roster to go 5-7 innings instead of 3-5 innings, it affects your entire staff, keeps you in more games, etc. 

And before C_o_C calls me on it, no I don't expect the dimensions to actually improve our starter's avg innings pitched by 2 innings. 

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Successful, to me, means the staff can stay in the game something like a league average of innings or better.

You're right about the dimensions helping all pitchers, regardless of team. No argument there. In theory I'm guessing dimensions affect some profiles more than others, but if it allows the guys we can actually get on our roster to go 5-7 innings instead of 3-5 innings, it affects your entire staff, keeps you in more games, etc. 

And before C_o_C calls me on it, no I don't expect the dimensions to actually improve our starter's avg innings pitched by 2 innings. 

dagnabbit-gosh-darn-it.gif

• Haha 1

I think in the long run stat-wise we'll see the obvious change in that RH batters will hit fewer HRs, but I believe their BA and OBP will increase so it'll be a wash. Pitchers will probably concentrate on throwing middle-in the righties and middle-out to lefties as they'll want to keep batted balls in the big part of the park. This should give an advantage to RH batters who learn to look for those pitches. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Per Melewski, Elias is going to speak with the media about the changes today.   So, perhaps we’ll get more details about the exact dimensions.   

I guess this is why neither Steve nor Roch have really touched on the topic yet I guess, unless I missed it. Seems like the biggest move the Orioles have made in 4 years and yet no one really knows much. 

8 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

I guess this is why neither Steve nor Roch have really touched on the topic yet I guess, unless I missed it. Seems like the biggest move the Orioles have made in 4 years and yet no one really knows much. 

Personally I think it’s interesting but there are many other moves the team has made that have more impact on the team’s fortunes than this.   This is just very visible.