Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They used to say Babe Ruth would roll into Cleveland and hit 3-4 homers every series at League Park, which was 280 to RF and maybe 325 to RC.  If this limits Aaron Judge's ability to do that in Baltimore I'm good with it.

Babe Ruth had a career slugging percentage of .827 at the Polo Grounds in 755 career at bats. RF in the Polo Grounds was only 258 feet down the line, but it did get to 449 feet in right-center and 483 feet to dead center. And left field had a short porch to of 279 feet down the line. 

4 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I get it, you hate the change and nothing I say will do anything about that.  Have fun complaining about it forever.

If I had some reason to believe that it was going to make the team better, I could grudgingly talk myself around to it. Otherwise, it just feels like a bad organization flailing around.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or, you know, reached into their own pockets.

I sometimes disagree with your posts, but this one's beyond the pale.  I think you're suggesting that the owners of a ballclub might pay for some part of renovations to the field where they play their games and are the only regular user. (At least I think they're still playing there. Hard to know for sure with so few witnesses in attendance.)

This post really should be deleted as un-American, or sacrilegious, or unpatriotic, or evidence of some serious cognitive problem, or revealing a basic misunderstanding of how our National Pastime works. Or maybe all of the above. 

Don't you understand and believe in the basic tenet that state and local governments have to pay whatever's needed to keep major league teams happy and make sure they won't threaten to move? The Angeloses are bearing their part of the financial burden by signing Jordan Lyles, and, um, well, you know, other stuff.

😉  😏   😄

1 hour ago, Ripken said:

This.  Function and feel are two different things.  I'm good with the first, not the second.

Let’s see how it plays before we pass judgment.   Quirks can be fun, or they can feel gimmicky.   I don’t think we’ll know until we’ve seen at least one season worth of games.

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s see how it plays before we pass judgment.   Quirks can be fun, or they can feel gimmicky.   I don’t think we’ll know until we’ve seen at least one season worth of games.

It's a slippery slope with quirks though.   First this field configuration, next thing you know they'll have a windmill or clown's mouth the ball could go through like on a miniature golf course.

14 minutes ago, SteveA said:

It's a slippery slope with quirks though.   First this field configuration, next thing you know they'll have a windmill or clown's mouth the ball could go through like on a miniature golf course.

Wouldn’t be the first time the O’s put clowns in the outfield.  

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I wouldn't be opposed to a windmill. Can it light up after a home run like that thing the Marlins had?

For a change, let's try perfectly symmetrical stadiums and uniform dimensions to make it fair for all. Oh, and let's make all golf courses the same on the PGA tour...it would make the game so exciting. The 1960?-80 new stadiums were boring. I don't know if I like the change at Camden, but I do like doubles and triples better than cheap HR's. I like OF'ers with some speed, fielding abilities and having to have some thought processes when going for a ball. And I'll like it a lot when if it gives the Yankee some fits. The old stadiums were kind of cool. Didn't the Polo Grounds have a second deck overhang (maybe Tigers too?), Dodgers when they went to the Colosseum had a ridiculous left field, Fenway, Wrigley. The game needs some quirkiness...like Mike "The Bird" Fydrch..things you love to hate, but love to watch for the "what if" factor.

36 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Things I've heard of being in play on professional baseball fields at some point in the last 150 years:

- Sheds full of groundskeepers equipment
- A mule
- A memorial to a WWI vet that looked like a tombstone
- A swampy RF that sloped away from the infield
- Trees
- A basketball goal (on the outfield fence at Bluefield, O's rookie league team for many years.  Player won something if he hit a ball that went through)
- Batting practice nets, stored in deepest CF
- Terraced, multi-tiered hills (Sulphur Dell, Nashville)
- Lots of flagpoles
- Scoreboards way taller than the Green Monster
- As late as maybe the 1920s the minor league park in Pennington Gap, VA didn't have an outfield fence
- Infields that were obviously not level
- Light towers

And not professional, but for about 50 years the University of Texas had a cliff that ran across the middle of center field.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Things I've heard of being in play on professional baseball fields at some point in the last 150 years:

- Sheds full of groundskeepers equipment
- A mule
- A memorial to a WWI vet that looked like a tombstone
- A swampy RF that sloped away from the infield
- Trees
- A basketball goal (on the outfield fence at Bluefield, O's rookie league team for many years.  Player won something if he hit a ball that went through)
- Batting practice nets, stored in deepest CF
- Terraced, multi-tiered hills (Sulphur Dell, Nashville)
- Lots of flagpoles
- Scoreboards way taller than the Green Monster
- As late as maybe the 1920s the minor league park in Pennington Gap, VA didn't have an outfield fence
- Infields that were obviously not level
- Light towers

And not professional, but for about 50 years the University of Texas had a cliff that ran across the middle of center field.

You forgot the gloves of the batting team, left on the field while they bat.   Still hard to believe that was the MLB practice into the (1950s?)