Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

This just occurred to me... When they do get back to contention and they want to sell more tickets they could just put a rope across where the fence used to be and have the overflow crowd stand behind it.  They'd do this all the time 100 years ago, often to ridiculous effect, with the crowd encroaching on the foul lines, and standing so close any ball hit over the ropes was a ground rule double.  Here it would just be the same configuration we've had for nearly 30 years.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This just occurred to me... When they do get back to contention and they want to sell more tickets they could just put a rope across where the fence used to be and have the overflow crowd stand behind it.  They'd do this all the time 100 years ago, often to ridiculous effect, with the crowd encroaching on the foul lines, and standing so close any ball hit over the ropes was a ground rule double.  Here it would just be the same configuration we've had for nearly 30 years.

I've seen photos from that ear. Rather comical. Or maybe just have wooden bleachers there tucked into the wall like the rollout ones at Cameron Indoor Stadium. 

8 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

13 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Coogan's Bluff was outside the Polo Grounds.  I was thinking more like this scene from Boston in 1910 where the real outfield wall was behind the spectators standing in the OF, so they just threw some ropes and posts up kind of like the lines at the airport.  As you see they'd often let the fans stand just behind the foul lines and coaching boxes.  It's a miracle nobody got killed by a line drive.

e1a4d9986a29c008473f787af50f91b7--boston

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That looks horrible.

So many questions from the perspective of today.

• Did they push everyone back before the game started?
  • Were hard-hit balls so rare in the deadball era that nobody really had a fear of getting killed by a ball standing 30-40 feet from home?
  • People are standing right behind home.  Assuming nobody brought a glove.  Really?
  • How many ground rule singles/doubles were there?  In a modern game at least every inning or two a ball would be hit into the crowd.
  • Was the expectation that the fielders would fight the fans for balls?
  • Where did the batting team go?  Where are the dugouts?  There's people everywhere.
  • The umpire(s) were probably like WTF... I am going to get killed today.
  • If I'm standing along the rope in the OF I'm kicking every visiting hit back to my outfielder, and anything my team hits either disappears, or gets kicked as from from a fielder as possible.
  • If you're in the fifth row of the standing room you aren't seeing anything unless you're 6' 3".
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

So many questions from the perspective of today.

• Did they push everyone back before the game started?
  • Were hard-hit balls so rare in the deadball era that nobody really had a fear of getting killed by a ball standing 30-40 feet from home?
  • People are standing right behind home.  Assuming nobody brought a glove.  Really?
  • How many ground rule singles/doubles were there?  In a modern game at least every inning or two a ball would be hit into the crowd.
  • Was the expectation that the fielders would fight the fans for balls?
  • Where did the batting team go?  Where are the dugouts?  There's people everywhere.
  • The umpire(s) were probably like WTF... I am going to get killed today.
  • If I'm standing along the rope in the OF I'm kicking every visiting hit back to my outfielder, and anything my team hits either disappears, or gets kicked as from from a fielder as possible.
  • If you're in the fifth row of the standing room you aren't seeing anything unless you're 6' 3".

They should implement this again immediately.  Would make everything more interesting.  C'mon, let's put some lives on the line.  

On 3/24/2022 at 11:01 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with them moving the wall back but I'm unhappy with what I have seen concerning how the bullpen is incorporated.  I think they could have done a more comprehensive redesign. 

I agree. My hope is that this maybe is a trial run - and if they like it, they'll do a more comprehensive redesign and move the bullpens back. I'm not optimistic though.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:53 PM, DrungoHazewood said:

To make even more interesting, you make any ball in the play behind the white chalk outline (vs a rope) in play and allow outfielders to run into the crowd to get to the ball. :D

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Coogan's Bluff was outside the Polo Grounds.  I was thinking more like this scene from Boston in 1910 where the real outfield wall was behind the spectators standing in the OF, so they just threw some ropes and posts up kind of like the lines at the airport.  As you see they'd often let the fans stand just behind the foul lines and coaching boxes.  It's a miracle nobody got killed by a line drive.

e1a4d9986a29c008473f787af50f91b7--boston

That can't be during a game. That has to be some kind of after game situation or some kind of carnival like event since the players look to be hanging out near the pitching mound relaxing. Besides, literally there are fans just behind 3B. lol

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

That can't be during a game. That has to be some kind of after game situation or some kind of carnival like event since the players look to be hanging out near the pitching mound relaxing. Besides, literally there are fans just behind 3B. lol

They must have moved people around when the game started, but this was listed as a game the Red Sox and Tigers in 1910.  I've seen photos of old games where clearly the players were playing and there were fans right on the other side of the foul lines.  And around the infield.  And behind ropes that were 50' inside the fences in the outfield.   Stuff they'd never, ever, ever think about allowing today.

2 hours ago, Porky said:

I agree. My hope is that this maybe is a trial run - and if they like it, they'll do a more comprehensive redesign and move the bullpens back. I'm not optimistic though.

Not exactly to your point, but the mention of a trial run reminded me about an article I was reading yesterday - couple of months old but I missed it when it first came out. The author made an interesting observation that other teams in recent years that went with pitcher friendly dimensions (Tigers, Mets) ended up deciding to move their fences back in after a few years to keep players and fans happy. I'll be curious to see how long this change sticks, or if getting snubbed by enough high-profile right-handed power hitters will generate pressure to recalibrate.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2280317/amp

3 hours ago, deward said:

Not exactly to your point, but the mention of a trial run reminded me about an article I was reading yesterday - couple of months old but I missed it when it first came out. The author made an interesting observation that other teams in recent years that went with pitcher friendly dimensions (Tigers, Mets) ended up deciding to move their fences back in after a few years to keep players and fans happy. I'll be curious to see how long this change sticks, or if getting snubbed by enough high-profile right-handed power hitters will generate pressure to recalibrate.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/2280317/amp

From what I call determine about the O's, they aren't likely to meet the demands of many high profile right handed hitters (or left handed hitters).  I like the bigger ballpark for the advantage it gives our pitchers.  Camden Yards seems like it will be closer to average than an extreme pitcher's park.  In the past, posters have stated no free agent pitcher will come to the O's due to the extreme hitting environment.  The Yankees seem to have no problem attracting free agent pitchers as free agents usually sign where they are offered the most money.