Left field at OPACY going through a big change

Sports Guy

On 3/30/2022 at 8:32 PM, rm5678 said:

From this picture it appears that the front rows of sections 74 & 76 will be lower than the top of the wall, making it impossible for fans sitting there to see anything.

Will they be charging more for tickets to seats where you'll be unable to see lots of the game? Otherwise, could be a good deal on a nice day.

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like the generous warning track in the corner. I don't see that corner really being an issue, danger-wise. Looks great to me!

This board has a surprisingly (to me) positive view of this change. I guess I'm just going to have to agree to disagree and gnash my teeth about it elsewhere. I still think it looks terrible.

21 minutes ago, deward said:

This board has a surprisingly (to me) positive view of this change. I guess I'm just going to have to agree to disagree and gnash my teeth about it elsewhere. I still think it looks terrible.

Cool.  Let us know what the teeth gnashing does for you in the end.

40 minutes ago, deward said:

To me I could understand if people were skeptical from the renderings, but now that it's finished, I think it looks pretty dang clean. It's not as awkward looking as initially presented, IMO. Eager to see it on camera and how it plays. Means is gonna love it. 

• Upvote 1

For the record, I think the new layout looks fine and I think this is a smart decision by the organization. 

In the short run it's not likely to help the O's win more games--our pitchers' numbers will look superficially better while some of our hitters' numbers will look superficially worse. 

But in the long run, this is going to help the Orioles attract free agent pitchers.  Of course, it will also make it harder for the O's to attract free agent hitters.  But Elias' strategy is to grow the bats and buy the arms--he has invested virtually all of his high draft picks and international signing dollars into position players.  If our farm system is going to crank out good hitters, then we will have a good offense without having to sign free agents.  If we need to bring pitching in from outside the organization, it is essential that we have a pitcher's park (or at least not so much of a hitters park).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

For the record, I think the new layout looks fine and I think this is a smart decision by the organization. 

In the short run it's not likely to help the O's win more games--our pitchers' numbers will look superficially better while some of our hitters' numbers will look superficially worse. 

But in the long run, this is going to help the Orioles attract free agent pitchers.  Of course, it will also make it harder for the O's to attract free agent hitters.  But Elias' strategy is to grow the bats and buy the arms--he has invested virtually all of his high draft picks and international signing dollars into position players.  If our farm system is going to crank out good hitters, then we will have a good offense without having to sign free agents.  If we need to bring pitching in from outside the organization, it is essential that we have a pitcher's park (or at least not so much of a hitters park).

I retain serious doubts that it will make much difference in that regard. I suspect that free agent pitchers will go where the money is. If that's us, then that's us. If it's not, then I don't see anyone giving us a park discount.

4 minutes ago, deward said:

I retain serious doubts that it will make much difference in that regard. I suspect that free agent pitchers will go where the money is. If that's us, then that's us. If it's not, then I don't see anyone giving us a park discount.

That is true at the top end of the free-agent market, but for players looking to re-establish value on a one or two year "prove it" contract, not pitching in a bandbox is definitely a factor.

Personally, I think they took a little too far. Reminds me of the way Memorial looked before they put in the lower “temporary” seats. I also think that while it could assist slightly in attracting FA pitchers, it’s not enough to overcome the division we play in, our tendency to not be the highest offer, and our history with free agency medical records. 

• Upvote 1