Could Drew Rom reach the majors this year?

Frobby

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

McGregor retired in 1988 with a career K/9 of 3.8.

If that is your get to prove your point you are in a pretty bad spot. 

I didn't realize you were still wet behind the ears and had no memory of the the O's last World Series.   Zack Greinke is a current control pitcher that most people know.

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He looked heavier than his list weight and although we've seen a bit of velocity bump for him since signing as an 18-year old, there's not a ton left in there.

I think he'll settle in as a 89-93 guy will top occasionally around 94.

I know it's a different era and all, but that sure seems plenty to me for a LHP to be successful.  I don't think the determining factor in his success or failure will be velocity.

Yes, Rom is going to have to make it more on command than on stuff. Yes, that makes it a bit harder because "stuff" can allow for a few more mistakes. He could still be a useful piece. His "stuff" isn't that bad and if he can couple movement and command, he can still be a useful back-end starter. 

Ultimately back to the question of could we see him this year: maybe, but I hope we don't. And that's not because I don't think he'll be any good or because I'm advocating service time manipulation or anything. But, the way I view it, there are so many arms in front of him that I REALLY hope at least a few step up to make it so there's no need to call up Rom in 2022. That's probably not realistic, but with Means, Lyles, Zimmermann, Lowther, Baumann, Wells, Kremer, Akin, Rodriguez and probably Hall ahead of him, I want to optimistically hope that not everyone crashes and burns (and/or gets injured). 

• Upvote 2

i like Rom as an underrated prospect, but of the 3 players mentioned in the OP, I think Westburg is the most likely to contribute as a MLBer in 2022.  Henderson may have more upside than Westburg, but Gunnar's SO's seems to be a problem that's going to need adjustments that are likely going to take longer.  And from what I've read, Westburg was going to stay at SS unless he outgrew it - and it doesn't sound like he's gotten too big for it.  

40 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

i like Rom as an underrated prospect, but of the 3 players mentioned in the OP, I think Westburg is the most likely to contribute as a MLBer in 2022.  Henderson may have more upside than Westburg, but Gunnar's SO's seems to be a problem that's going to need adjustments that are likely going to take longer.  And from what I've read, Westburg was going to stay at SS unless he outgrew it - and it doesn't sound like he's gotten too big for it.  

I definitely agree that Westburg is likely to reach the majors before Henderson.   He was nicely along the curve at AA at the end of last year (.929 OPS in September after an initial adjustment period), whereas Henderson had just gotten started there.   I see Westburg as likely to get to AAA by the end of May or sooner if he performs well in AA.  Henderson I think will spend most of the year in AA, and might get a late promotion to AAA.

Rom I think is on the Westburg timetable, maybe slightly ahead but 2022 performance will decide who moves faster.