The All "Pretty Good" Orioles team

Tony-OH

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

Not retired 5 years.

I see that Tony made that a requirement for this list, but it is not a requirement for the Orioles Hall of Fame.   Hardy last played in 2017 but was inducted in the summer of 2021 after only 3 years of retirement.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I see that Tony made that a requirement for this list, but it is not a requirement for the Orioles Hall of Fame.   Hardy last played in 2017 but was inducted in the summer of 2021 after only 3 years of retirement.    

It's my list... my requirements. ;)

Honestly, guys like Wieters, Jones, Markakis and even Machado all have credentials to be in the Orioles HoF. I made it more than 5 years to get away from those guys since I really was trying to make a team full of non Orioles HoFers. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

It's my list... my requirements. ;)

Honestly, guys like Wieters, Jones, Markakis and even Machado all have credentials to be in the Orioles HoF. I made it more than 5 years to get away from those guys since I really was trying to make a team full of non Orioles HoFers. 

Makes perfect sense to me.   And I’m looking forward to seeing several 2012-16 guys inducted to the Orioles Hall of Fame in the coming years.

• 1 month later...
On 1/31/2022 at 12:45 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

How is Fred Manfra in the O's Hall of Fame 🤨 and Gary Thorne isn't? 

This is totally subjective.  I am not a Thorne fan.  Fine voice, but I think he mis-called many plays.  My mother was a huge O's fan, loved Chuck Thompson but didn't like Jon Miller at all.  Thought he was more into his stories than calling the games.

6 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

This is totally subjective.  I am not a Thorne fan.  Fine voice, but I think he mis-called many plays.  My mother was a huge O's fan, loved Chuck Thompson but didn't like Jon Miller at all.  Thought he was more into his stories than calling the games.

If they honor the 83 team next year they should ask Miller to come back for that event. He should definitely be in the Orioles HOF. I know it ended poorly. Don’t know what the sons think of him.  

I always thought Miller knew when to tell stories and when not to. An 11-2 west coast game he would tell stories. Not an intense 5-4 game in the 8th inning. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If they honor the 83 team next year they should ask Miller to come back for that event. He should definitely be in the Orioles HOF.

I don't disagree.  My point is only that grading announcers is really very much a personal preference issue.  Your original point is that you like Thorne.  I really wasn't a fan.  I like MaryAnne, you like Ginger.  It's subjective.

Personal note, I liked Billie Jo, Betty Joe and Bobbi Jo even more, but I was younger then. 🙂 That might give me a heart attack today.

Random names that come to mind for me.

1. Melvin Mora - guessing he's in the hall of fame.

2. Jeff Ballard

3. Dave Schmidt

Guessing the latter two just don't deserve it, but they're part of my childhood, so I picked them.

Nice pull on Steve Pearce for whoever did that. Could add Koji Uehara to that list too.