Kjerstad looking good in his first spring training (Update: Out 8-12 weeks Hamstring injury)

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, like I said in another thread, we might not like the slow progress we are seeing from some players getting ready for the season or recovering from injuries, but that was a great read this morning by Roch, I'm glad he got all that info and quotes on the various guys in extended spring training.

It's definitely something I think a lot of people were looking for. 

It's so easy to be impatient this year. I'd much rather see Bradish than Spenser Watkins, though Watkins has been serviceable thus far. I'd much rather see anyone than Odor. I'd much rather see Nevin or even Bannon than Gutierrez. 

The time will come eventually, I guess. It's nice to see Norfolk off to such a good start even without Rutschman and (mostly) Stowers. 

• 3 weeks later...

For those thirsting for a Kjerstad update: 

Q: I know it's a recurring question but have there been updates on Heston Kjerstad and his return to the field?

Roch:  The only update I can get is that he’s “doing well,” but not playing in extended spring training games. He’s taking live at-bats, doing fielding drills. Working on a running progression. The normal buildup from a hamstring injury. There’s no available timetable for his professional debut. Hopefully sometime soon.

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/because-you-asked

• Upvote 2

I recalibrated recently after thinking it had been 8-12 weeks since the "start of Spring Training" when the injury occurred, but forgetting start of Spring Training was late March, not late February.   So its another month.

Good baseball kind of makes lockout memories fade, just like MLB and the MLBPA hoped.

But certainly come June in its own way seeing if Kjerstad can really hit will have a little of the same excitement as seeing if Rodriguez and Hall can handle MLB Bats.   He might yet soften the oncoming Farm Ranking crash.   

When he goes to Delmarva, he's kind of going to be Crash Davis and Nuke Laloosh both at the same time.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Every team's minor league trainers should be pros at "the normal buildup from a hamstring injury" with as many as they've had this year. 

FTFY

But seriously, it's not just the Orioles. 

I'm also not convinced there are significantly more hamstring injuries than normal on the O's. Seems to me like we just have a lot more interesting prospects so when a few guys pull hammies we actually care/pay attention. The fact that Diaz is already back is great. Vavra should be back soon. Kjerstad is the only real big one and he's such an outlier case overall. 

Right now, as of today, Kjerstad is the hitting version of Chris Smith, but he was the 2nd overall pick instead of the 5th. i wonder hw many players were able to take two years off from playing competitively and come back to play in the majors. I know a couple of the Morman guys ended up making it after two years for their mission, but I don't know if any ended up having a long career. 

I'm sure someone will have an example. Let's hope the young man gets a chance to get 250 PAs this year but honestly, anything the Orioles get from Kjerstad should be considered a bonus at this point. BTW, Robert Hassell was the 9th over pick and an underslot at $4,300,000.  And yeah, RHP Max Myers (3rd overall) would have looked pretty good in the system. 

Yeah, I know, nobody could have predicted the Myocarditis but it does look like they picked the wrong guy to underslot on for sure. Let's hope the Orioles don't make that mistake with the 1st overall this year. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Right now, as of today, Kjerstad is the hitting version of Chris Smith, but he was the 2nd overall pick instead of the 5th. i wonder hw many players were able to take two years off from playing competitively and come back to play in the majors. I know a couple of the Morman guys ended up making it after two years for their mission, but I don't know if any ended up having a long career. 

I'm sure someone will have an example. Let's hope the young man gets a chance to get 250 PAs this year but honestly, anything the Orioles get from Kjerstad should be considered a bonus at this point. BTW, Robert Hassell was the 9th over pick and an underslot at $4,300,000.  And yeah, RHP Max Myers (3rd overall) would have looked pretty good in the system. 

Yeah, I know, nobody could have predicted the Myocarditis but it does look like they picked the wrong guy to underslot on for sure. Let's hope the Orioles don't make that mistake with the 1st overall this year. 

Josh Hamilton!!!!!!!    He missed THREE full years in the minors!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Never give up!    Heston Kjerstad and Pat Connaughton will be stars of an Oriole playoff team any year now, I just know it.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Never give up!    Heston Kjerstad and Pat Connaughton will be stars of an Oriole playoff team any year now, I just know it.

There are some Polyanna fans that probably still believe! lol Obviously the book has not been written on Kjerstad, yet. He will be quite the story if he ever amounts to anything after his lengthy delay to his professional debut.

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

There are some Polyanna fans that probably still believe! lol Obviously the book has not been written on Kjerstad, yet. He will be quite the story if he ever amounts to anything after his lengthy professional debut.

Then I am rooting for quite a story.   I prefer Polywildcard.   They is no anna in me.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Then I am rooting for quite a story.   I prefer Polywildcard.   They is no anna in me.

Your our Orioles pollyanna. RZNJ is our minor league pollyanna. He still thinks Josh Hart s going to be a star one day. :D

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Josh Hamilton!!!!!!!    He missed THREE full years in the minors!

I meant at the start of their career. Hamilton had well over 1000 professional PAs when he was forced to take a sabbatical. And he's quite the story of a comeback, up until he wasn't again.