Kjerstad looking good in his first spring training (Update: Out 8-12 weeks Hamstring injury)

Tony-OH

8-12 weeks before game action is better than 8-12 weeks before baseball activities at least. Hopefully we see him on the field in June or July and he can get a couple months under his belt and then he may be a candidate for Fall League if he shows well enough. 

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

8-12 weeks before game action is better than 8-12 weeks before baseball activities at least. Hopefully we see him on the field in June or July and he can get a couple months under his belt and then he may be a candidate for Fall League if he shows well enough. 

That was my thinking.  Figure he could start baseball activities up by the end of April, work his way into things and games by mid May.

1 hour ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I read a decade of excuses on Hobgood too. Most thought Tyler Maztek was best pick, he’s not a superstar but likely was the pick and helps anchor the World Champion Braves bullpen (was traded). Sometimes the composite of experts is better than 1 guy thinking he is smarter than everyone else.  Elias is way better than Joe Jordan but you take the best player when you are rebuilding and haven’t won in nearly 40 years, hard stop. 

I don’t think myocarditis and now the hamstring constitute excuses.  They’re facts, and things that could have happened to any player regardless of where they were drafted and whether they were overslot, underslot or whatever.  

Hopefully, someday Kjerstad will be healthy and we’ll get to see whether he’s a potentially good major league player or not.   I can’t say that he is, and I can’t say that he isn’t.   I can only say that he’s behind schedule, for reasons beyond anyone’s control.   

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

In the big picture of his development, this is just a blip. It shouldn't really set back his development much if at all. 

Except that he’s already a year or more behind schedule, so this hinders his ability to catch up.  Obviously he still could become a good player, but his arrival is delayed.  In the ideal world (pre-myocarditis) he could have debuted in the majors this year.   Now he’ll be fortunate to get to Bowie.   

Feel really bad for him.  Seems like a great kid.  Never liked the pick and it continues to be a frustration.  Yeah, I know, unforeseen stuff and under slot.  Awesome.  Doesn't change my opinion then or now.  Hopefully everything works out for him some day but I'm not looking for that to happen any more.  As if this pathetic franchise needed more bad news.  One kick in the balls after another.  Is Adley getting better or are we terrified to ask that?

Nope not good news. But it is what it is. We have plenty of depth in the corner OF so Kjerstad would really have to impress to move to the top of the depth chart anyway. Not saying he cant make up for it later in the season. For all we know he'll come back and dominate whatever level he starts in.   

• Tony-OH changed the title to Kjerstad looking good in his first spring training (Update: Out 8-12 weeks Hamstring injury)
2 hours ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

I read a decade of excuses on Hobgood too. Most thought Tyler Maztek was best pick, he’s not a superstar but likely was the pick and helps anchor the World Champion Braves bullpen (was traded). Sometimes the composite of experts is better than 1 guy thinking he is smarter than everyone else.  Elias is way better than Joe Jordan but you take the best player when you are rebuilding and haven’t won in nearly 40 years, hard stop. 

The Amazing Clefkin, ladies and gentlemen...  Retroactive Clairvoyant.

2022 still might turn out okay if he can go 5-for-5 playing months June-October.

I know minor league season 6 months now, but I'll be okay at Halloween if he is ambulatory in Arizona in October, and I don't think he would have been pushed to Month7 if he played all year with Delmarva/Aberdeen/Bowie.

Hopefully he can get some of that Coby Mayo healing juju, and of course your eyes and brain can watch occlusion videos no matter the state of your leg.

I suppose June 1 he has to begin at the beginning in a complex league though.

Tough break for Kjerstad - right on the heels of another tough break.  I'm afraid time and the inability to play baseball for 2 years will catch up to him.   My money is on him never making it to the majors.  I don't know what his fall back plan is, but he better start developing one if he hasn't. 

15 hours ago, owknows said:

The Amazing Clefkin, ladies and gentlemen...  Retroactive Clairvoyant.

Were you aware that Kjerstad was deeply surprised when Os selected him at that spot? Doesn’t sound like a lot of deep research & coordination was done with his camp. My understanding is he was expecting another franchise/city to take him and even looked at places for that other franchise. Maybe, just maybe that lets us know there is a bigger problem here and with the Elias way. But I guess it doesn’t matter because Elias has been so wildly successful in returning winning to this franchise…oh wait…he intentionally tanks and makes us a joke of mlb while refusing to take the bpa in the drafts. He also, in the last draft, took another corner OF versus a stud SS, for a franchise void of a good SS prospect. Strong up the middle must not be important to him….But hey, what’s the rush? Only been 38 years since last world championship, keep making excuses for this pathetic franchise instead of demanding a higher standard/product is not the solution. 

He was an awful pick then and looks even worse now. He wasn’t the right pick, period, which is why this was avoidable & maddening, nothing to do with these injuries.

https://www.mlb.com/news/austin-martin-impressing-twins-with-early-camp-work

• Haha 1