Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice game last night.

Binghamton pitching was walking the world early but Baysox didn't really cash until Ortiz's 2-run double.   The in-stadium scoreboard gave exit velocity, it was a 104, same as Mundy got on his homerun.   Scalded one-hopper past 3B down the line.    He had one other hit.

Defensively, he got 2B last night with Westburg 3B and Henderson SS.   He got Young an out with a long range to catch a foul pop partway down the RF line.   It was one of those up there forever but was almost perfect spot to land between 1B Mundy, 2B Ortiz and RF Hall.   Mundy's chase looked hopeless and I thought it was about to drop when Ortiz, who maybe had the farthest to go of any of them, made the play.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Sink or swim time for Ortiz. He now gets everyday SS playing time in Bowie. 

It's not like he wasn't playing every day. Also, I bet they continue to give Prieto reps at SS so I doubt Ortiz is at SS 100%.

When I've seen Ortiz bat, it seems like he's always in pull mode.  

• 2 weeks later...

Since Westburg and Henderson got promoted, Ortiz has hit .311/.340/.467.  He’s played 10 of 11 games at SS.  Could be a coincidence, or it could just be easier for him to concentrate a bit more on his offense when he’s not jumping back and forth from one position to the other.  Defensively, he’s only made 2 errors at SS in 28 starts there this season.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...