Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

On 8/13/2022 at 6:44 AM, baltfan said:

I haven’t seen Ortiz play.  Obviously, I have seen this play but for those that have seen Ortiz is he a Mateo-level fielder?  I know the hitting upside is higher. 

In my mind he's got better hands than Mateo but a little bit less arm. they're about the same range wise though when it comes to covering ground on pop flies, Mateo will get the edge because of his 80 level speed. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In my mind he's got better hands than Mateo but a little bit less arm. they're about the same range wise though when it comes to covering ground on pop flies, Mateo will get the edge because of his 80 level speed. 

Mateo and Ortiz playing up the middle would be fun!  Vavra/Mullins/Cowser coving ground in the OF would be fun too!  So many good potential options on the horizon!

12 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mateo and Ortiz playing up the middle would be fun!  Vavra/Mullins/Cowser coving ground in the OF would be fun too!  So many good potential options on the horizon!

As good as Ortiz is at short, he might be a perennial gold glover at 2B. 

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

4-5 with 2 homers, 1 double and 5 RBIs.

Here’s what I saw at the game:

The first homer was crushed to left field and was a no doubter.  
The double was a high fly to left with a lot of hang time but the LF couldn’t get there.  He must have been playing way off the line.  
The second homer, with the bases loaded, was sliced down the RF line, where it’s only 308 feet to the wall.  It didn’t clear it by much, but by enough.  
The single was a hard grounder through the SS/3B hole.

Defensively, Ortiz looked smooth handling 4-5 chances, all of which were fairly routine.   His arm looks solid for a SS, nothing spectacular   

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Here’s what I saw at the game:

The first homer was crushed to left field and was a no doubter.  
The double was a high fly to left with a lot of hang time but the LF couldn’t get there.  He must have been playing way off the line.  
The second homer, with the bases loaded, was sliced down the RF line, where it’s only 308 feet to the wall.  It didn’t clear it by much, but by enough.  
The single was a hard grounder through the SS/3B hole.

Defensively, Ortiz looked smooth handling 4-5 chances, all of which were fairly routine.   His arm looks solid for a SS, nothing spectacular   

I’ve got video that shows the first homer going out to RCF about 20-30 feet right of dead center where the sign reads 405.    Assuming the wall is about 380-390 where it cleared by about 20 feet.

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I’ve got video that shows the first homer going out to RCF about 20-30 feet right of dead center where the sign reads 405.    Assuming the wall is about 380-390 where it cleared by about 20 feet.

You’re right, my memory failed me.  It cleared the wall by a good bit though.  Very solid shot.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re right, my memory failed me.  It cleared the wall by a good bit though.  Very solid shot.  

So, a double down the LF line, a homer to CF, a homer down the RF line?  That covers the field.

Edited by RZNJ