Joey Ortiz 2022

SilverRocket

Not sure if he wound up 1-3 or 1-4 tonight but hit a bomb first inning.  Left center bomb, gone off the bat.  Hit two other balls extremely hard just right at the right and left fielders.  He did lay down a very difficult sacrifice in the 10th to move the ghost runner over.  Pitcher for the Yankees affiliate was throwing high 90’s.  The pitch was up and hard to handle.  Ortiz did a very professional job handing the bat and putting down a perfect bunt to the right side.  Love his stroke.  I can see why Law was so high on him.  

Edited by Punchandjudy
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Can't wait to see him play in Norfolk.  I thought he was trending towards the Bust Category earlier in the year, but he has come on strong.  I hope he can keep it up at the next level.  Absolutely unbelievable the number of prospects we have knocking on the door right now.  Next year is going to be an absolute pleasure to watch unfold. 

4 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Can't wait to see him play in Norfolk.  I thought he was trending towards the Bust Category earlier in the year, but he has come on strong.  I hope he can keep it up at the next level.  Absolutely unbelievable the number of prospects we have knocking on the door right now.  Next year is going to be an absolute pleasure to watch unfold. 

The farm director, Matt Blood, said on the MLB Pipeline podcast that Ortiz was still recovering from shoulder surgery at the beginning of this year.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2nd Baseman of the future... Ortiz or Westburg?

I’m on the Ortiz wagon long-term.  Hope Westburg starts in Baltimore next year and grows some trade value.  Package him for an arm or keep stacking low level talent.

25 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

I think Westburg is the one that gets traded and Ortiz is the 2b of the future.  He is so slick with the glove and I think the FO values that a ton.  

Or Mateo gets traded. They're all younger, so obviously have more control.

Westburg supposed to have a ++ makeup. Henderson too. And Ortiz is so damn impressive right now. I'd consider rolling with them, or at least giving it until around the deadline next year before deciding which one to move on from.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Or Mateo gets traded. They're all younger, so obviously have more control.

Westburg supposed to have a ++ makeup. Henderson too. And Ortiz is so damn impressive right now. I'd consider rolling with them, or at least giving it until around the deadline next year before deciding which one to move on from.

The idea of Henderson at 3B, Ortiz at SS, Westburg at 2B is pretty sweet.

Ortiz goes hard again. 1/3 at the plate but 2 walks and a stolen base - hitting .400 and OPSing 1.124 in about 30 AAA plate appearances.

Are we really approaching the territory where Ortiz puts himself into consideration to join the Opening Day roster next year? It feels unlikely, but if he continues the year strong, that's 3 torrid months that becomes impossible to ignore.