Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

11 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Yes, those typically high spin rate fastballs stay on plane longer and their verticle movement down is less. the problem with Bradish's fastball is not is it almost dead straight, it has slightly below average vertical movement according to baseball savant.

The slider is no doubt a very good pitch. Let's see how it holds up a few times through different orders to see if hitters make adjustments. If they're unable to make adjustments, it tells you the pitch is pretty special.

I watched only a couple innings. I saw a pitch that was like 91-92 with some tail. Was that his slider? 

Fangraphs "pitch type" says he throws a FB 50% of the time, but "Pitch Info pitch type" calls it a cutter. Is it possible he really throws both and has five pitches (if you consider cutter a distinct pitch from slider)?

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

I watched only a couple innings. I saw a pitch that was like 91-92 with some tail. Was that his slider? 

Fangraphs "pitch type" says he throws a FB 50% of the time, but "Pitch Info pitch type" calls it a cutter. Is it possible he really throws both and has five pitches (if you consider cutter a distinct pitch from slider)?

I think his fastball cuts sometimes. I'm not sure if he's trying to do so or it just does on occasion. His slider has a big downward movement so if it was a slider, it was very bad one. BTW, Baseball Savant is only tracking four pitches and when I looked at Fangra[hs they were too so not sure where you are getting the cutter thing unless I missed something. 

I have seen him throw the pitch you are talking about at times and they were working on a cutter for a bit in the minors if I recall right. It might be just something he does on occasion or it may just be something that happens from time to time. 

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think his fastball cuts sometimes. I'm not sure if he's trying to do so or it just does on occasion. His slider has a big downward movement so if it was a slider, it was very bad one. BTW, Baseball Savant is only tracking four pitches and when I looked at Fangra[hs they were too so not sure where you are getting the cutter thing unless I missed something. 

I have seen him throw the pitch you are talking about at times and they were working on a cutter for a bit in the minors if I recall right. It might be just something he does on occasion or it may just be something that happens from time to time. 

Here is what I'm seeing on Bradish's Fangraphs page. They have "Pitch Type" and "Pitch Info Pitch Type" for every player. For Bradish, the first one has FB 51%/CT 0%, the other has FA 0%/FC 51.5%. I'm not sure what the difference is but I've often noticed discrepancies between the two. 

https://imgur.com/a/el9xPqt

Kind of a strange outing for Bradish last night.  He missed a fair number of bats (6 K’s in 4.1 innings) and his breaking stuff looked spectacular at times, but he missed his location too often and became predictable at times.   I think Tony’s comment last time about his somewhat limited repertoire came home to roost a bit against the Yankees.   Ben McDonald noted that Bradish was relying too much on two pitches and needs to have confidence in a third.   Overall he allowed 8 hits and 3 walks in 4.1 innings and was fortunate to escape with only 4 runs allowed, even if the 3-run homer he gave up was a wind-blown cheapie off the foul pole.   

I think we are going to see a lot of ups and downs with Bradish this year, but he has a lot of potential.   

• Like 1

I only saw the 1st and 4th. From what I saw, his FB command was bad so he had to rely on getting strikes on his off speed. He did get squeezed early on a couple of high strikes that appeared to catch the zone, but kept going back to that spot and it kept being called a ball. Amazing how a guy can look like a future rotation centerpiece one start and then completely lost the next.

He froze Rizzo on a 3-2 FB with some cutting action. He threw some changeups to RH batters and struck out Gallo, a lefty, on a slider, which was interesting. 

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kind of a strange outing for Bradish last night.  He missed a fair number of bats (6 K’s in 4.1 innings) and his breaking stuff looked spectacular at times, but he missed his location too often and became predictable at times.   I think Tony’s comment last time about his somewhat limited repertoire came home to roost a bit against the Yankees.   Ben McDonald noted that Bradish was relying too much on two pitches and needs to have confidence in a third.   Overall he allowed 8 hits and 3 walks in 4.1 innings and was fortunate to escape with only 4 runs allowed, even if the 3-run homer he gave up was a wind-blown cheapie off the foul pole.   

I think we are going to see a lot of ups and downs with Bradish this year, but he has a lot of potential.   

My scout friend thinks he is somewhat like a young Gausman. Basically a two pitch pitcher who doesn't have confidence or doesn't think he can get major league hitters out with his third pitch that is in a learning process. 

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

My scout friend thinks he is somewhat like a young Gausman. Basically a two pitch pitcher who doesn't have confidence or doesn't think he can get major league hitters out with his third pitch that is in a learning process. 

The Orioles would be very fortunate if he remotely close to the Orioles version of Gausman.  Gausman was better here in Baltimore than some people remember. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

He's charitably three seasons behind what Gausman did.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Swingstr% was below average yesterday.  It was ok but not great.  Definitely needs a third pitch.

He should be able to be an excellent back end of the pen guy if he can’t develop that third pitch.

8 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Interesting that Gausman was already off the team at 27. Same age or younger then all the Orioles starters besides Bradish.

I think in general in this era of baseball you find pitchers developing later on at much higher rates than years ago. Maybe I’m wrong about this but it feels this way. I don’t know if the overall production skews heavier as players age but you see more individual pitchers figure it out later on. 

Position players seem to be just the opposite. We know how fast they age. 

i just hope everybody understands that most of these prospects, even the very best of them, are not going to come up here and set the world on fire. They're going to have to take their lumps like Bradish did last night so even when a significant number of them get here it's still going to be at least a couple of years before we are truly contenders again. 

• Like 1