Kyle Bradish 2022

Tony-OH

13 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

3.09 ERA in the second half and pretty sure that doesn't include today. Looking good to claim a rotation spot in '23.

Now 2.84 ERA incl. yesterday, with only 40 hits allowed in 50.67 innings and 1.145 WHIP. Average innings per starts up to 5 & 2/3 (5.63).

I don't know what the outlook is for Brnovich, Peek, and Mattson, but I'm feeling fine with the Bundy trade after an initial few months of feeling Arrieta'd (or at least Kevin Davies'd) again. Bradish just turned 26 while Dylan turns 30 in two months, is making $4 million after a bad 2021, with a team option of $11 million for 2023.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t want to go into the season relying on all of these guys to repeat success.

I also don’t want to enter the year with the thought that we need to rely on Hall as a starter.  If he develops and turns out great, so be it.  We will find a spot for him.

Means isn’t back until at least the AS break in all likelihood and guys coming back from TJ surgery don’t usually see the previous results until the following year.

I'd rather not assume that they are going to fail. We've still got five viable guys for back end that I listed, and we can always trade for someone at the deadline. 

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Bradish,  Kremer, Tyler Wells and Voth are all nuggets. Add Grayson to that next season.

And Means midseason .. and maybe DL if he can locate better .. That rotation will be more than sufficient.. keeping Lyles or upgrading his slot is a tossup for me vs buying a bat and a better backup C 

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd rather not assume that they are going to fail. We've still got five viable guys for back end that I listed, and we can always trade for someone at the deadline. 

You absolutely should be assuming that they aren’t TOR guys.  It’s foolish to think that (not saying you are).

This team HAS to bring in at least one and perhaps 2 MOR to TOR starters.

I think Os fans are all excited about this team and rightfully so but I think most Os fans are completely blind to the talent difference between them and the rest of the division.  

Whether it’s on here or social media, fans are just thinking that the Os are now going to be able to rescue garbage and turn it into hood talent.  It’s just not something you should be relying on.

And btw, I never felt the team last year was a 50ish win team.  Things happen in any given season to make you much better or much worse than you really are.

This collection of players isn’t as good as the record will be and, a really big deal thing that is not being talked about at all is how healthy the Os have been this year.  That isn’t likely to be repeated.

You need a lot more talent on this team, especially at the top end of the roster.  

I jumped on his case for what I thought was an bad post game interview earlier in the season(maybe his first start).  It didn’t seem like he was prepared for the questioning and I thought he came off immature.  I’d like to say that he’s really done a fantastic job of maturing through the seasons and staying focused during the game for every pitch.  His post game interviews have shown that same maturity and focus.  It’s been very encouraging to see the growth in that regard.  I was not high on him earlier in the year, but I’m starting to expect a good outing every time he gets the ball now.  

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You absolutely should be assuming that they aren’t TOR guys.  It’s foolish to think that (not saying you are).

I think Os fans are all excited about this team and rightfully so but I think most Os fans are completely blind to the talent difference between them and the rest of the division.  

Whether it’s on here or social media, fans are just thinking that the Os are now going to be able to rescue garbage and turn it into hood talent.  It’s just not something you should be relying on.

And btw, I never felt the team last year was a 50ish win team.  Things happen in any given season to make you much better or much worse than you really are.

This collection of players isn’t as good as the record will be and, a really big deal thing that is not being talked about at all is how healthy the Os have been this year.  That isn’t likely to be repeated.

You need a lot more talent on this team, especially at the top end of the roster.  

I wouldn't say the rotation has been healthy: Means; Grayson; Wells.

13 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t know about being health lucky.. how many starting pitchers went down for periods this season?   Means, Rodriguez who would have been up here, Tyler Wells, Bradish, Watkins earlier in season, Kremer didn’t pitch till June 5,

Elias may try to get ones this offseason which would certainly help.  A few bats would help too. 

Edited by tntoriole

I mentioned a month ago about trading one of our guys and two prospects for Nick Lodolo of the Reds.  Do that and sign Rodon and you’ve got an intriguing rotation on paper that’s still very young.   

We need to keep an eye on the bullpen too.  That was the strength of the team.  I always prefer looking at internal options.  I think Hall can be a force there.  Watson and Denoyer might be interesting options too.  I have soured on Keegan Akin.    Bautista, Pérez, Tate, Hall should be the starter kit for next year’s pen.

A few random thoughts on Bradish:

1.  He has faced some top-shelf opponents.  19 total GS

Kyle Bradish 2022 Pitching Game Logs | Baseball-Reference.com

Cubs, Cincy, and Texas - 3 starts

Playoff contenders (plus Boston) - 16 starts.

2.  Progressive improvement as the season has moved along.

3.  Not good OPACY numbers, but many of his home starts were early in the season.  

4.  Bradish's changeup was featured on Pitcherlist's "10 Nastiest Pitches from Sunday".  We know his slider plays, but what else?

The 10 Nastiest Pitches From Sunday - Pitcher List

He's still a two-pitch pitcher (FB/SL).  Which basically means hitters can sit on one of those...  And his FB has been hit as a result.  He's thrown a CB and CH with different results.  The curve has a higher xBA, while the changeup has been a gopher ball this year (33% HR/FB ratio) despite the great xBA stats.  

5. Holt seems to be pretty good at teaching the changeup and sweeping slider.  This could be a solid path for improvement for Bradish heading into 2023.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree with one TOR guy for sure. If you are assuming three FA signings I think you are gonna be disappointed.

I am not assuming any of Kremer/Bradish/Wells/Voth are going to be TOR but I think they have done enough to assume they can be viable MOR/backend guys to go with Grayson and an established starter. That gives us six deep plus Means and Hall before you get to Zimmermann and Baumann. I think it would be foolish to ignore the value we can get from those guys. Maybe if they are included in a trade package and we get value back it could work. 

You mention Orioles have been healthy but we lost Means and Grayson. We'd probably be in the playoffs with those two. 

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I agree with one TOR guy for sure. If you are assuming three FA signings I think you are gonna be disappointed.

I am not assuming any of Kremer/Bradish/Wells/Voth are going to be TOR but I think they have done enough to assume they can be viable MOR/backend guys to go with Grayson and an established starter. That gives us six deep plus Means and Hall before you get to Zimmermann and Baumann. I think it would be foolish to ignore the value we can get from those guys. Maybe if they are included in a trade package and we get value back it could work. 

You mention Orioles have been healthy but we lost Means and Grayson. We'd probably be in the playoffs with those two. 

I have said adding 2 starters, not 3.  And they don’t have to be FA signings. They need to be very active in the trade market.