DL Hall 2022

Tony-OH

Really disappointing outing for him last night and I think his chances of being one of the two players the Orioles can add in September is getting worse and worse. He's getting behind just about every hitter and he's not really dominating AAA hitters. I don't see him as being ready the way he's pitching right now in anything other than a mop up role.

Since the Orioles put him through that weird one inning start on July 22nd, he's pitched to a 9.90 ERA with batters slashing .302/.398.558/.956 including his one strange start with the Orioles. He's walked 15 in those 20 IP and struck out 30. 

He's pitched a total of 83 IP this year after throwing 31.2 last year so they may just have him finish off the year in AAA and send him home for the year. If they could expand the roster past 28 it might make some sense to have him around for some mop up work to see if he can figure some things out, but right now the command is not there and there's no consistency from him.

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s a better comp for Hall.  

Well, in the sense that they were both left-handed and threw hard yes, but Hall has a totally different repertoire. At his best, Riley was a 94-97 t 98 with a hard 12-6 curveball and a very limited straight change. Hall is a 95-98, t 100 with a plus change, slider and curveball with both horizontal and vertical movements. 

He also is way more mature than Matt was while in the minor leagues.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Randy Johnson.

Scott has two pitches, he was never seen as a starter (when he started it was part of the development plan).  Hall is a ton more athletic and has four pitches.

So you think if he gets pulled up now he will perform like Randy Johnson?  I asked where he is now, not in the future. 

9 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Really disappointing outing for him last night and I think his chances of being one of the two players the Orioles can add in September is getting worse and worse. He's getting behind just about every hitter and he's not really dominating AAA hitters. I don't see him as being ready the way he's pitching right now in anything other than a mop up role.

Since the Orioles put him through that weird one inning start on July 22nd, he's pitched to a 9.90 ERA with batters slashing .302/.398.558/.956 including his one strange start with the Orioles. He's walked 15 in those 20 IP and struck out 30. 

He's pitched a total of 83 IP this year after throwing 31.2 last year so they may just have him finish off the year in AAA and send him home for the year. If they could expand the roster past 28 it might make some sense to have him around for some mop up work to see if he can figure some things out, but right now the command is not there and there's no consistency from him.

I wonder if he's suffering from fatigue a little bit. He also seems like a guy who is maybe trying to hard, and could benefit from trying to be less fine on pitch 1 and 2

It is fair to wonder why you bring him up at this point.

Peraonally, I would like to see him come up but you do have to ask if he can help a contending team right now.

OTOH, you have decided to go with this plan of moving him to the pen for the rest of the year so that he can help in Sept.  

If you end up not bringing him up, that plan looks kind of dumb.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It is fair to wonder why you bring him up at this point.

Peraonally, I would like to see him come up but you do have to ask if he can help a contending team right now.

OTOH, you have decided to go with this plan of moving him to the pen for the rest of the year so that he can help in Sept.  

If you end up not bringing him up, that plan looks kind of dumb.

It isn't a good look to publicly announce it and then change course.

But he won't be questioned about it by the media so it won't be a big deal. 

I will say that if the underlying data says don't bring him up you don't bring him up.  Just explain why afterwards.