Norfolk Tides 2022 News, actions, comments

Legend_Of_Joey

No major surprises that I see. Rizer as the fourth outfielder is interesting. Curious how much playing time Rizer gets with Norfolk. I expected him to be playing every day in Bowie, as there is much less competition at that level. If Cowser doesn't break camp with Bowie it will be Zach Watson and a bunch of org guys at Bowie.

This was interesting:

“This roster will eventually add pitcher Kyle Bradish, who is expected to stay in Florida at the outset of the year to continue to build up his innings.”

https://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2022/03/a-look-at-triple-a-norfolks-break-camp-roster.html

I guess this is because Bradish is on the 40-man and so had a shorter spring training than the other minor league pitchers.   Same with Hall, who also is being held back in extended ST, though for different reasons.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

No major surprises that I see. Rizer as the fourth outfielder is interesting. Curious how much playing time Rizer gets with Norfolk. I expected him to be playing every day in Bowie, as there is much less competition at that level. If Cowser doesn't break camp with Bowie it will be Zach Watson and a bunch of org guys at Bowie.

I think Rizer is the centerfielder, those other guys are corner outfielders, unless they're going to try and force Diaz into CF, but I think that'd be a poor play. Though I guess Vavra will get quite a few reps in CF as well despite being listed with the IFs.

Bowie will have some combo of Watson, Shayne Fontana, Adam Hall will be running around out there in CF at times especially with Gunnar, Westburg, and Ortiz in the MIF, probably older non-prospects like Dylan Harris and Lamar Sparks. 

Priority plays in the IF for me are Vavra (2B), Bannon (2B/3B), and Dorrian (1B/3B).  Someone has to play SS so that's going to be Grenier. 

It's a shame Vavra can't play any SS.  He's got the range.  I'm guessing not the arm?

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Priority plays in the IF for me are Vavra (2B), Bannon (2B/3B), and Dorrian (1B/3B).  Someone has to play SS so that's going to be Grenier. 

It's a shame Vavra can't play any SS.  He's got the range.  I'm guessing not the arm?

Martin?

72 hours from a game...will Grayson get the ball?

2B/DH Vavra

RF Stowers

LF Diaz

1B Dorrian

3B Bannon

CF Rizer

2B/DH Jones

SS Grenier

C Cumberland

If Odor confirms he is completely toast fast, hopeful we might see Vavra sooner rather than later.   One random day I'd like to see an all-command of strike zone lineup with Urias, Vavra, Adley, DJ Stewart, and...I guess that's really all for the time being.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

72 hours from a game...will Grayson get the ball?

2B/DH Vavra

RF Stowers

LF Diaz

1B Dorrian

3B Bannon

CF Rizer

2B/DH Jones

SS Grenier

C Cumberland

If Odor confirms he is completely toast fast, hopeful we might see Vavra sooner rather than later.   One random day I'd like to see an all-command of strike zone lineup with Urias, Vavra, Adley, DJ Stewart, and...I guess that's really all for the time being.

Nevin at 1B/3B/OF,  Martin at SS.

15 hours ago, seak05 said:

Triple A players appear happy with the Oriole provided accommodations. Nice to hear they put some money/thought into it

I’m really glad to see this.   I hope the arrangements at the lower levels are similar.  

27 hours out, four of the 30 Clubs have announced their AAA Opening Night starter.

https://www.milb.com/schedule

The Orioles have had all offseason to plan and "control the environment" for Grayson.

My guess is Not Tomorrow, as that would introduce forced choice between 4-days of rest and 6-days of rest for Turn2 with Monday offdays, and I believe he will mostly pitch on 5-days of rest this year.

Opportunity cost is the lived experience of preparing to pitch your team's opener.    Rooting for Tomorrow.

If they hold him to Sunday to manipulate the opening calendar and maximize a run of games 6 days after Game1, he could get through 6 turns on 144 hour cycles, but then after Tuesday Turn6, Norfolk wouldn't have a game the following Monday.   

50 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

27 hours out, four of the 30 Clubs have announced their AAA Opening Night starter.

https://www.milb.com/schedule

The Orioles have had all offseason to plan and "control the environment" for Grayson.

My guess is Not Tomorrow, as that would introduce forced choice between 4-days of rest and 6-days of rest for Turn2 with Monday offdays, and I believe he will mostly pitch on 5-days of rest this year.

Opportunity cost is the lived experience of preparing to pitch your team's opener.    Rooting for Tomorrow.

If they hold him to Sunday to manipulate the opening calendar and maximize a run of games 6 days after Game1, he could get through 6 turns on 144 hour cycles, but then after Tuesday Turn6, Norfolk wouldn't have a game the following Monday.   

• Thanks 1