Kyle Stowers 2022

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’d say the chances he’s going down are 99%.   This wasn’t done to foster Stowers’ development.  It was done because he was the best option available to substitute for Santander, whether he played in all four games or zero.  I don’t think it will kill him that he missed one extra game he could have played in AAA.  He got a little taste of the Show, so good for him.  

Now of course, I could be completely wrong about what they’ll do.  

So let's examine this for a moment.

What is the purpose here?  Is it to win as many games as possible or develop players?

If the goal is to win every game possible than Hyde is just a moron for not walking Vlad Jr last night.  So, is Hyde a moron or are they still wanting these guys to learn and develop?

Do they believe McKenna gives them a better chance to win vs Stowers?  If so, isn't that an indictment on Stowers, since McKenna just isn't good.

Let me put all of this another way....there is no consistency in what they are doing.  You are either putting a premium on development or you are trying to win.  Now, it is possible to do both but not in the way the Orioles have done it in this situation and last night.  

If Stowers is sent down after they knew he was only going to play 1 game, that is a stupid decision on every level.  It is completely indefensible.  I know everyone wants to act like Elias does no wrong but this would be incredibly dumb.  Its not even just a bad decision..  Its just stupidity.  

Now, if he stays here and this is just them "protecting" him early on, so be it.  I don't like it but its justifiable at least.  

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Yea I agree with this, Frobby. The move was one of pure utility because he was the best option. I imagine they told him he was only up for the series. He missed, what? One or two games with Norfolk? But got his first big league RBI. That’s good for his development. As is him being sent back down for another few weeks until there’s room for him to play every day like he currently is doing in Norfolk. 

He isn't going to play everyday this year if he is in the majors.  

I think Stowers gets sent down.  I'd agree, it's a stupid move to bring him up just for essentially one game.  But they had to know who Toronto was starting in this series, so it can't be a surprise to anyone involved.  

I dunno.  I don't really get it, but whatever.  If he gets sent down, so be it.  He'll be back.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Stowers gets sent down.  I'd agree, it's a stupid move to bring him up just for essentially one game.  But they had to know who Toronto was starting in this series, so it can't be a surprise to anyone involved.  

I dunno.  I don't really get it, but whatever.  If he gets sent down, so be it.  He'll be back.

Sending him down or bringing him up won't hurt or help his development.  But this wouldn't really be about that.

The decision making has to be better.  You can't keep operating the franchise in this manner if you want to win long term.  

• Upvote 1

I don't get not starting Stowers.  McKenna is a late inning defensive replacement/PH/PR, nothing else.  He's shown us what he is.  The O's are getting a free look at Stowers w/o starting his service clock (which I don't think is important for him) and there letting him sit.  I expect Stowers to be sent down after today's game.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why are people saying “essentially one game?”   He started two games and got 8 plate appearances.  Meanwhile, Monday is an off day in the minors so he would have played three AAA games at most.  To me this just isn’t worth arguing about.  

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why are people saying “essentially one game?”   He started two games and got 8 plate appearances.  Meanwhile, Monday is an off day in the minors so he would have played three AAA games at most.  To me this just isn’t worth arguing about.  

Yep, you're right.  My bad.

Essentially two games.  

But let's not argue about "essentially one game" vs "starting two games and 8 plate appearances" and then say it's not worth arguing about, Froberto Duran ;) 

• Upvote 1

This kind of reminds me last week when my rising 2nd grader got to visit the 2nd graders class room for an hour one afternoon.

I believe he'll be a regular in August, he won't be a Super 2 in 2025 if he's good enough to stick, and he can spare a day or three of frightening AAA pitchers this week.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep.   I would certainly have him in the lineup today if I was the manager.

But the level of outrage  here is way out of proportion to the offense.  Guys occasionally take days off in the minors too, had Stowers played in every Norfolk game?

I think it all comes from frustration.   We want to see the future guys and we want them now.   And Elias is slow playing them more than most teams do.  

But it's not a huge deal.

• Upvote 2

It’s a little too doom and gloom to be that upset if this was a one series move. They added Stowers to the 40 man. Played him in 2/4 games. He could still pinch hit today. 

Overall, I’m optimistic about our lineup going forward. We have present and future holes at 3B, SS, 2B, and COF. Well we have Stowers for COF. Vavra is really close for 2B/OF. Westburg and Gunnar are beating down the door as well for 3B/SS. 

The really worry with this organization is where does a contending rotation come from?

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thank you.  Also, I believe there was value in having Stowers in a ML dugout and lockerroom for these games.  Everything is a learning experience and he can definitely take lessons away from his time in the bigs.

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yep.   I would certainly have him in the lineup today if I was the manager.

But the level of outrage  here is way out of proportion to the offense.  Guys occasionally take days off in the minors too, had Stowers played in every Norfolk game?

I think it all comes from frustration.   We want to see the future guys and we want them now.   And Elias is slow playing them more than most teams do.  

But it's not a huge deal.

If they send him down when Santander joins the team in Baltimore he goes off the 40 man.   Covid rule.

If he stays up, then he is on the 40 for good.  Were we at 39 before this week?   If not, someone else would have to go to accomodate Santander.

(I think that's how it works).

9 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

This kind of reminds me last week when my rising 2nd grader got to visit the 2nd graders class room for an hour one afternoon.

I believe he'll be a regular in August, he won't be a Super 2 in 2025 if he's good enough to stick, and he can spare a day or three of frightening AAA pitchers this week.

Is the second paragraph about Stowers, or your kid?  ☺️

• Haha 1