Drew Rom 2022

MurphDogg

• 3 weeks later...

I feel bad for the way Rom’s season ended tonight.  He’d thrown 6 IP and only allowed 2 runs, 1 earned, on 75 pitches.  They sent him out for the 7th and he walked the bases loaded.  The bullpen came in and allowed all three runners to score.   So, instead of going into the offseason on 6 IP, 1 ER he goes out as the losing pitcher on 6 IP, 4 ER.  Also, before he was removed, GameDay said “game delay, injury.”   I sure hope it wasn’t Rom.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel bad for the way Rom’s season ended tonight.  He’d thrown 6 IP and only allowed 2 runs, 1 earned, on 75 pitches.  They sent him out for the 7th and he walked the bases loaded.  The bullpen came in and allowed all three runners to score.   So, instead of going into the offseason on 6 IP, 1 ER he goes out as the losing pitcher on 6 IP, 4 ER.  Also, before he was removed, GameDay said “game delay, injury.”   I sure hope it wasn’t Rom.  

Well based on what's going on in tonight's big league game, sounds like he's ready to be an Oriole. That is a rough way to end the season, Norfolk's bullpen has been awful. Definitely hope the injury is not to Rom, he had a good season, even if he didn't finish on strong results in his final games I sure hope he finished healthy 

• 1 month later...

From Melewski's blog

With a big sweeping slider and solid splitter that produce decent chase rates, his fastball, which averaged 91-92 mph, plays fine most nights. He also throws a curve and change but is still looking for a few more ticks on the radar gun.

“Of course, everyone wants to hit 100, but for me, I’m going to be realistic. I want to sit mid-90s,” said Rom. “For me, that would be a prime and optimum velo and would take a step forward with all my stuff. And it would, hopefully, catapult me into that next category."

Best of luck, Drew.   However, going from a fastball that averages 91-92 to one that averages mid 90's doesn't sound that realistic to me.   I do suppose it's possible and it's happened but if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.    If it works, Lowther and Wells should give him a call.

I should add that I'm happy to see he's striving to improve and I hope he can accomplish it.

Edited by RZNJ

5 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Best of luck, Drew.   However, going from a fastball that averages 91-92 to one that averages mid 90's doesn't sound that realistic to me.   I do suppose it's possible and it's happened but if it were that easy, everyone would be doing it.    If it works, Lowther and Wells should give him a call.

I should add that I'm happy to see he's striving to improve and I hope he can accomplish it.

Agree here and like you said, it is possible. Example 1: John Means, Example 2: ??? I have also read that one should not expect much more velocity b/c o his frame.

If he bumps up to 92-93 and develops a good CH that might be enough.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

To be fair, he’s already got a couple more ticks on his FB than Wells or Lowther.  In the majors, Wells’ FB averaged 88.6, Lowther’s 90.7.   I think it’s unrealistic for Rom to average mid-90’s, but in his range, even 1-2 mph would help.  

19 minutes ago, SpOkane said:

Agree here and like you said, it is possible. Example 1: John Means, Example 2: ??? I have also read that one should not expect much more velocity b/c o his frame.

If he bumps up to 92-93 and develops a good CH that might be enough.

I don't disagree but even Means didn't improve that much.   The only two seasons that Means pitched over 100 innings in the majors was 2019 and 2021.   He averaged 91.9 mph in 2019 and 92.9 in 2021.    His career average is 92.5.    

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I don't disagree but even Means didn't improve that much.   The only two seasons that Means pitched over 100 innings in the majors was 2019 and 2021.   He averaged 91.9 mph in 2019 and 92.9 in 2021.    His career average is 92.5.    

Right.  Full season would be more reliable. I believe I was stuck on 2018 (90.5) and 2020 (93.9) which were SSS. I do think in 2017/18 his FB band was 88-92 and by 2020 it was 92-96.

I actually was more interested in this tidbit, given @Tony-OH’s past comments about Rom needing to throw a changeup more:

“Toward the end of the season this year at Norfolk I felt a (changeup) grip that I liked and used it more and more down the stretch," Rom said. "I think I’ve found it can be a weapon and something to hammer home this offseason.”

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I actually was more interested in this tidbit, given @Tony-OH’s past comments about Rom needing to throw a changeup more:

“Toward the end of the season this year at Norfolk I felt a (changeup) grip that I liked and used it more and more down the stretch," Rom said. "I think I’ve found it can be a weapon and something to hammer home this offseason.”

Ha!  In a perfect world he gains 2 mph on his fastball, and develops that changeup and becomes Means-like.   Of course, he needs the command too!

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He certainly needs to find that changeup because it was awful this year. He tried the Means changeup and could not control it and it was obvious he never really looked comfortable throwing any changeups. 

I watched his last few starts and saw a few decent ones so it's good to hear that he knows he has to master that pitch to have success at the big league level.

Melewski had this detail in the Comments beneath his piece - he's often in there in the mix after his pieces publish:

Rom 354 career minor lg IP, 3.41 ERA
Bradish 229 career minor lg IP, 3.66 ERA
Kremer 428 career minor lg IP, 3.72 ERA

Bradish and Kremer were collegians though.    By Elias' this year standard of everyone on the 40 is a candidate to pitch, '23 Rom figures to maybe rate an opportunity somewhere along the line, more likely when a couple of the SP are hitting a lull.

13 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Melewski had this detail in the Comments beneath his piece - he's often in there in the mix after his pieces publish:

Bradish and Kremer were collegians though.    By Elias' this year standard of everyone on the 40 is a candidate to pitch, '23 Rom figures to maybe rate an opportunity somewhere along the line, more likely when a couple of the SP are hitting a lull.

I think it’s highly likely Rom will see some major league time this year.  Maybe just as an up and down guy though, like you said.   

One thing I find interesting about Rom is that he’s got a pretty high K rate for a pitcher with below averages velocity, and he’s maintained that as he’s climbed the ladder.  

13 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Weird, he didn't include Lowther and Wells minor league stats either in this "analysis".

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Weird, he didn't include Lowther and Wells minor league stats either in this "analysis".

Someday, Lucy will let Charlie kick that "lefty who knows how to pitch without stellar stuff" football.     Guys like Marco Gonzales occasionally exist, with I guess a guy like Mark Buehrle the Hall of Very Good ceiling.    They do throw pretty AAA numbers!

Curious, after Means growth mindset offseason at the performance place, do you feel Means effectiveness is more stuff or pitchability?